Who doesn’t love roasted red potatoes? This is the perfect side dish it is so easy to make, in fact, you will be calling them easy roasted red potatoes in no time.
About Red Potatoes
If you are only familiar with large white potatoes, check out the potato section in your local grocery store and look for the distinctive red skin of red potatoes. Red potatoes are typically small to medium-sized and round or a little oblong in shape. When cooked, their texture is moist, smooth, and creamy.
They are best used for roasting or mashing, or in soups and stews. Some people even boil these potatoes, let them cool and then add them to salads. Red potatoes are sometimes sold as “new potatoes,” because they’re often harvested before they have grown to full size.
Red potatoes are sometimes sold as “new potatoes,” because they’re often harvested before they have grown to full size.
Are Red-skinned Potatoes Better for You?
Most of the nutrition of a potato is in the skin, and not in the flesh of the potato. The skin of the potato contains most of the nutrients and half of the fiber. Red skinned potatoes contain fewer calories, fewer carbs, and less fiber than russet potatoes. If you want to ensure your potatoes are packed full of vitamin C, vitamin B6, niacin, and potassium be sure to leave the skins on the potatoes.
How to Make Roasted Red Potatoes
Hands down this is one of the easiest side dishes you can make. This potato recipe is so easy it is soon to find its way in your recipe box!
You will want to wash your potatoes and cut them lengthwise. I often toss all of the cut potatoes in a bowl. I drizzle oil over the potatoes and then season them liberally with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and other seasonings like garlic powder, paprika, or whatever sounds good.
I put the potatoes cut side down on the pan, and toss the potatoes into the oven and cook them until they are golden brown.
What type of oil should you use?
People always ask me what type of oil to use. For this recipe, I think vegetable oil works well. Honestly, if I’m baking something, or I’m using something with a lot of aromatic ingredients, I’m simply going to use the least expensive neutral-tasting oil I have on hand.
I don’t think you get great value out of using more costly extra virgin olive oil when you cook a dish. Heating extra virgin olive oil tends to cook out the wonderful flavors of the oil. So I will use vegetable oil – canola, soybean, sunflower, or whatever I have on hand.
What are red potatoes good for?
Since red potatoes are waxy potatoes they are great for soups or salads. Waxy potatoes hold their shape during cooking. You can use them for mashed potatoes and roasted potatoes as well.
Can you roast potatoes at a lower temperature?
You can roast potatoes at any temperature, but if you choose to lower the oven temperature you will need to lengthen the cooking time. Any temperature above 325 and below 475 degrees is a good temperature. Anything above 475 degrees you may risk burning the outside of the potato. Any temperature below 325 degrees and your potatoes will dry out and may become hollow on the inside before they finish browning on the outside.
One Useful tip for baking red potatoes in the oven
Do you need the potatoes cooked more quickly? Cut them into smaller pieces. The smaller the size of the pieces, the less time it will take to cook the potatoes. So if I’m in a hurry and need to prepare them quickly, I will cut them up smaller.
So, get cooking with this easy-to-make recipe, and soon you’ll be enjoying these potatoes with your next dinner. You can also try these other roasted potato recipes.
Flavor variations for cooking new potatoes
This is a great recipe to start with, but here are some ideas on how you can vary this recipe just a bit.
- Add a sprinkle of smoked paprika for a light smokey flavor before you toss these in the oven
- Change these into garlic roasted red potatoes by adding a tablespoon of roughly chopped garlic to the potatoes when you bake them
- Add a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese to the recipe listed below for some Parmesan cheese potatoes
More Potato Recipes
- Famous Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Pan-fried potatoes
- Greek Style Potatoes
- Restaurant Baked Potato
- Red Potatoes with Parsley
- Lebanese Potato Salad
- TGI Friday’s Potato Skins
- Old Fashioned Potato Soup Recipe
- Homemade Tater Wedges
- Southern Dill Potato Salad
- Cheesy Potluck Potatoes
Delicious Vegetable Side Dishes
Easy Oven Roasted Red Potatoes
- 2 pounds red potatoes
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash, and cut potatoes into quarters. Place potatoes in a large bowl and coat with vegetable oil. Stir potatoes to coat them with oil.
- When transferring the potatoes to a sheet pan or baking sheet, place potatoes in a single layer. Sprinkle salt and pepper. if desired.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the potatoes are browned and crisp, they should be a nice golden brown color. You may want to flip the potatoes once during cooking so all sides brown evenly. If desired just before serving you can add fresh parsley.