An authentic Italian recipe! This dish is originally from Southern Italy. It is my family’s favorite because many of the ingredients are added just before serving and it gives me the benefit to please all by keeping the black olives out of mine or the anchovies out of my daughter’s. My husband likes them all the way, served with fresh grated parmesan.
Serve this with slices of warm focaccia and a green salad. A sure success.
Love Italian Food? Try some of these classic dishes.
Thanks to Marina for sharing this recipe.
Spaghetti alla Puttanesca
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 3 anchovy fillets chopped
- 3 tablespoons sliced black olives drained
- 2 tablespoons capers drained
- 1 dozen snow peas cut into 1-inch sections
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Place the oil and butter in a 1-quart saucepan over medium heat.
- When the butter has melted, add the chopped onion and garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and crushed red pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the bouillon cubes and chopped basil. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the snow peas. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the anchovies, black olives, and capers. Stir to combine.
- Serve over spaghetti and top with fresh chopped parsley and grated Parmesan cheese.