Wingstop Buffalo Chicken Sandwich is a tasty meal. Chicken breast is breaded with seasoned flour and buttermilk, fried until crispy, coated with homemade Buffalo sauce, and then placed in a toasted bun with dill pickle slices.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What Makes the Wingstop Buffalo Chicken Sandwich So Good?
It seems like every fast food joint is adding spicy chicken sandwiches to their menu, but the new Wingstop chicken sandwiches dipped in original hot Buffalo sauce are among the best. It’s so simple yet so deliciously addictive.
If you haven’t already had this juicy chicken with an extra crispy crust drenched in Wingstop’s famous Buffalo sauce and served on a buttery toasted bun with crunchy pickles, what are you waiting for?
Why You Should Try This Recipe
Not all Buffalo sauce has Worcestershire sauce, but maybe they should. Worcestershire sauce increases the depth of flavor and prevents the Buffalo sauces from tasting flat. The combination of Wingstop’s special Buffalo sauce with the dill pickles sets this sandwich apart from all others.
Don’t worry if you are not a fan of overly spicy chicken. Check out the Buffalo Ranch Chicken Sandwich in the Recipe Variation section below.
Ingredients For a Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
For breading the chicken patties, you’ll need:
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- All-purpose flour
- Ground black pepper
For the buffalo sauce, you’ll need:
- Frank’s Red Hot sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
You can use your favored hot sauce in place of Frank’s.
For frying, you’ll need:
- Breaded chicken patties
- Vegetable oil
For assembling the new Wingstop Chicken Sandwich, you’ll need:
- Buffalo sauce-dipped chicken patties
- Hamburger buns
- Dill pickles slices
Use quality seedless hamburger buns. Kaiser rolls are also a good option.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
To prepare the chicken for frying:
- Place a trimmed chicken breast inside a heavy-duty sealing food-safe bag. Using the flat side of a meat tenderizer, gently flatten the chicken into an even thickness of about half an inch.
- Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
- Set up a breading station with two wide-rimmed bowls or pie tins and a wire rack on top of a rimmed baking tray.
- Pour the buttermilk into the first bowl reserving a few tablespoons for later.
- Use a fork to stir together the flour, salt, and ground black pepper in the second bowl. Add the reserved buttermilk and give the seasoned flour a good mix. Small lumps are okay, but try to break up any large ones.
- Use paper towels to dry a chicken breast and dip it into the buttermilk.
- Drop the chicken breast into the seasoned flour mixture and coat well on both sides. Shake off excess flour and place on the wire rack.
- Repeat with the remaining chicken. Let the breaded chicken rest for at least five minutes to allow the coating to adhere. While waiting, you have just enough time to make the buffalo sauce.
Make the Buffalo sauce:
- Heat a small saucepan with the Buffalo sauce and Worcestershire sauce over medium-low heat.
- Add the butter and whisk well.
- Once the butter melts, remove the pan from the heat and cover it to keep the sauce warm.
To fry the chicken:
- Heat a deep fryer or a heavy-bottomed pot with at least three inches of vegetable to 350°F. Make sure to use a clip-on deep-fry thermometer to check the temperature.
- Add two pieces of the breaded chicken patties to the hot oil. Cook for about five minutes while adjusting the heat to keep the oil at a steady 350°F.
- Remove the chicken and check the internal temp with an instant-read thermometer. It should be at least 165°F.
- Place the fried chicken patties on a baking tray in the oven set on WARM.
- Fry the remaining chicken.
To assemble a fried Buffalo chicken sandwich:
- Toast the buns.
- While the buns are toast, toss a chicken patty in a quarter of the sauce.
- Place the sauced chicken patty on the toasted bottom bun.
- Add pickle slices and cover with the top bun.
What To Serve With a Wingstop Chicken Sandwich
Wingstop serves its sandwiches with a side of Wingstop dipping sauce, and customers can select from the brand’s iconic ranch, honey mustard, nacho-style cheese, or blue cheese. Feel free to stick with one of the original varieties or choose your favorite.
Add a side of fries or onion rings and your favorite drink for a complete meal.
Recipe Variation – Ranch Chicken Sandwich
For those who can’t handle heat, swap the Buffalo sauce for this quick and creamy ranch sauce.
How To Store Leftover Chicken Patties
Keep extra fried chicken patties in the fridge in an airtight container for up to three days.
To store the chicken patties longer than that, let the fried chicken patties cool to room temperature before freezing them on a baking tray. Transfer the frozen chicken to a freezer-safe container. Frozen patties are good for up to two months.
What’s the Best Way to Reheat Them
The best way to reheat thawed chicken is in the oven:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray both sides of the chicken patties with oil and place them on a baking tray.
- Cook uncovered for five minutes.
- Flip the patties and cook for an additional five minutes or until hot.
More Wingstop Copycat Recipes
Favorite Sandwich Recipes
- Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Chicken Fried Steak Sandwich
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Panera BBQ Chicken Sandwich
- Panera Chipotle Chicken Sandwich
- Patty Melt
- Pepperoni Hot Pocket
- Subway Tuna Sandwich
Check out more of my easy sandwich recipes and get great fast food dinner ideas and recipes to make at home on CopyKat!
Wingstop Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- 1/4 cup butter + extra softened
- 4 hamburger buns
- 16 dill pickle slices
- Place the chicken in a zip-top bag and use a meat mallet to gently pound the chicken to a uniform thickness of about 1/2 inch. If the chicken is at least 1 inch thick, use a knife to cut the breast in half horizontally before pounding.
- Place the flour, salt, and ground black pepper in a pie plate. Add about 3 tablespoons of buttermilk and stir. This will coat the chicken with some extra crispy bits that your sauce can hold onto. The coating will look a little shaggy.
- Place the remaining buttermilk into another pie plate.
- Pat the chicken dry, dip it into the buttermilk, and shake off the excess. Dip the chicken into the seasoned flour, coating both sides, and shake off the excess. Then place the chicken on a wire rack to rest for about 5 minutes.
- While the chicken is resting, add vegetable oil to a heavy-bottomed pot until it is 3 inches deep. Heat the oil to 350°F over medium-high heat.
- Slowly place the chicken into the hot oil, 2 or 3 pieces at a time. Fry for 4 to 5 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. If your chicken is large, it will need to cook a little longer. When the chicken is finished cooking, remove it from the oil and place it on a clean wire rack.
- To make the Buffalo sauce, combine the Worcestershire sauce, Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, and 1/4 cup of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook until the butter is melted, whisking the sauce from time to time.
- Spread a small amount of softened butter on the inside of the hamburger buns and place them under the broiler until they are golden brown.
- Place the chicken in a bowl and drizzle the Buffalo sauce onto the chicken. Toss to coat the chicken with the sauce.
- To assemble the sandwiches, place a chicken breast on each bottom bun, add 4 pickle slices on top of each chicken breast, and cover with the top bun.
Thanks for the recipe,but, a full chicken breast is a lot to put on a hamburger bun. We usually flatten the breast then cut it in half to make two filets and follow the recipe from there. You can also add a
tbsp. of Chinese Black Vinegar tot he hot sauce for more tingle in the taste.
That is a great tip for when the chicken breasts are very large. Thank you.