Roasted baby potatoes is a great recipe for a dinner party or a crowd. Once the potatoes are in the oven, there is nothing to do. It is so simple, yet they are truly delicious!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Why Roasted Baby Potatoes Are the Perfect Quick and Easy Side Dish
Potatoes go with just about everything, and baking them in the oven, is not only a great way to cook them, but it leaves plenty of free time for other dishes.
Although baby potatoes may cost a bit more per pound than regular potatoes, their sweeter flavor, easier prep, and sheer uniqueness make serving the tiny treasures worth it.
Why You Should Try This Recipe for Oven Roasted Baby Potatoes
It doesn’t get any easier than this recipe. If you want to fancy things up a little, check out the Recipe Variations section at the bottom.
Ingredients For Crispy Roasted Baby Potatoes
To make these baby potatoes, you’ll need:
- Baby potatoes
- Olive oil
- Ground black pepper
See below for information about choosing the right type of potatoes for this dish.
This recipe uses standard olive oil, not the more flavorful extra-virgin olive oil that tends to burn when cooking with high heat.
What Types of Baby Potatoes Can You Use?
Just about any young potato will work in this recipe. While new potatoes will do, what you really want is something even smaller.
Sometimes producers market these tiny potatoes as creamers. The name “creamers” is not a particular type of potato but describes any potato harvested very early. Most creamers are about an inch to an inch-and-a-half in size and are available in many varieties, from baby Yukon Golds to tiny Red Bliss potatoes.
You can find creamers in some grocery stores or online.
Tips for Buying and Storing Baby Potatoes
- Baby potatoes are young waxy potatoes, you should be able to scrape off the skin of the potato with your thumb.
- Baby potatoes can be stored at room temperature, but they do not last as long as standard sizes of potatoes.
- If you store baby potatoes in the refrigerator they will begin to break down into starch and they will become sweet.
How To Make Baby Roasted Potatoes in the Oven
To prepare roasted baby potatoes in the oven:
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Rinse off the potatoes and pat dry thoroughly with a clean kitchen towel.
- Put the potatoes into a roasting pan. If the potatoes are slightly larger than regular baby potatoes, you can cut them in half lengthwise to allow them to cook.
- Add the salt, ground black pepper, and olive oil. Toss the potatoes to coat.
- Bake the potatoes in the oven until fork tender, about 30 to 45 minutes. The high heat crisps up the skin of the potatoes wonderfully. However, to prevent the center of slightly large potatoes from not cooking thoroughly, lower the heat to 400°F and add 10 to 15 minutes of cooking time.
If you need your potatoes done in a jiffy, be sure to cut them into smaller pieces. The smaller the pieces, the more quickly they will cook.
Baby Potato Recipe Variations
Here are two easy ways to add even more flavor to your oven roasted baby potatoes:
- Garlic Roasted Potatoes. Add about a bulb’s worth of garlic cloves to the olive oil and roast with the baby potatoes.
- Herb Roasted Potatoes. Pick one sprig each of thyme and rosemary. Roughly chop the leaves and add the fresh herbs to the oil before coating the potatoes.
What To Serve With Crispy Roasted Baby Potatoes
Serve Roasted Baby Potatoes with any grilled, roasted, or smoked meat. Alternatively, let the potatoes cool and chill them to use as ingredients in a wonderful potato salad.
How To Store the Leftovers
Let the oven roasted baby potatoes cool before transferring them to an airtight container. Keep them in the fridge for up to five days.
What’s the Best Way to Reheat Baby Roasted Potatoes
You can easily reheat potatoes in the oven:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the roasted potatoes on a rimmed baking tray. Spray the potatoes with cooking oil and cover them try with aluminum foil.
- Reheat for about 15 minutes or until they are hot.
Do you love potatoes? Try These Recipes!
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Crispy Potato Wedges
- Easy Twice Baked Potatoes
- Jojo Potatoes
- Parsley Potatoes
- Potato Pancakes
- Purple Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Red Skin Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes
- Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes
Favorite Oven Roasted Vegetables
Roasted Baby Potatoes
- 2 pounds baby potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Wash the potatoes, pierce them with a fork, and place them in an oblong baking dish (I like glass, but you can use aluminum).
- Coat the potatoes with good quality olive oil and turn the potatoes to distribute, making sure there is some excess olive oil in the bottom of the pan as well. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Roast the potatoes for 30 to 45 minutes, turning occasionally.