Roasted sweet potatoes with candied pecans is a nice lighter version of the sweet potato casserole generations serve up every year for Thanksgiving.
Every year around the holidays we all turn to our favorite recipes. I don’t know about you, but I can’t do a holiday season without some broccoli rice casserole, sweet potatoes, pecan pie, pecan Sandies, and some pumpkin pie. Sometimes I want to change up a classic dish just slightly. These roasted sweet potatoes are a lighter version of the sweet potato casserole we all love.
This dish is stripped down to the essentials, sweet potatoes, a touch of honey, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. One of my favorite parts of this dish has always been the toasted pecans on the top of the casserole. When we roast the sweet potatoes in the oven with honey and cinnamon, you will get a very familiar flavor of the casserole. I have candied the pecans with cinnamon and sugar. So now when you take a bite you can get the wonderful flavor of candied sweet potatoes with far fewer calories.
It is important to place the crunchy cinnamon and sugar pecans on top of the dish just before serving. You can add as many as you like.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Fisher nuts. The opinions and text are all mine.
Love sweet potatoes? Try these sweet potato recipes
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon divided use
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 10 ounces pecan halves
- 5 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and the salt in a small bowl.
- Beat one egg white until light and fluffy.
- Add the pecan halves and stir to coat the pecans with the egg white.
- Add the sugar mixture and stir until the pecans are coated with sugar.
- Spread the pecans out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for about 1 hour. If you are not going to use the pecans right away, allow them to cool and store them in an airtight container.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Stir to coat the potatoes with the olive oil.
- Add the salt and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and mix thoroughly.
- Drizzle the honey over the sweet potatoes.
- Spread the potatoes out on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 30 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- 4Place the sweet potatoes in a serving dish, add a sprinkle of cinnamon if desired, and garnish with the candied pecans.