Do you love sweet potatoes? Learn how to make easy tender crock pot sweet potatoes. I can show you an effortless way to make baked sweet potatoes.
Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes
Sweet potatoes not only taste great but are also actually good for you. Now you don’t have to stay home babysitting oven-baked sweet potatoes anymore.
There is an incredibly easy and foolproof method that will let you prepare perfect sweet potatoes every time with zero hassles: crockpot sweet potatoes! So you don’t have to worry about running out of oven space when you can cook potatoes in your trusted crockpot.
Why Crockpot Sweet Potatoes are the best way to prepare sweet potatoes
This recipe is perfect during the holidays like Thanksgiving or Christmas. So often during the holidays, the space you have in your oven is limited, using this method of cooking your sweet potatoes means you get to free up the oven space you have.
During the non-holiday season, this is simply an easy way to prepare sweet potatoes with all of the flavor you would get in the oven, but with little effort.
When you enjoy a cooked sweet potato you also get the benefit of a meal that is nutritionally dense. Sweet potatoes are packed full of vitamin A, potassium, fiber, and vitamin C. You can get in the daily value of so many vital nutrients. So why not enjoy a cooked sweet potato soon?
Prepping Your Potatoes
It doesn’t take much to prepare slow cooker sweet potatoes. No peeling, no aluminum foil, nothing but a good scrub with a vegetable brush and quick rinse under the faucet to remove any leftover dirt.
You don’t even have to dry them since the additional water helps the sweet potatoes to stay moist. But don’t forget to use a fork to prick each potato all over. It’s no fun cleaning up after a spud explosion.
You will need a Crockpot or slow cooker. Take a look at various Crock Pot sizes.
How to Make Sweet Potatoes in a Crock-Pot
- Wash and scrub sweet potatoes.
- Place the sweet potatoes into a Crock-Pot. Place the lid on top.
- Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or on high for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Test the sweet potatoes for doneness by carefully removing the largest and inserting a fork to the center of the potato.
- If the fork doesn’t go in smoothly, cook for thirty minutes and then recheck.
How Long Do You Bake Sweet Potatoes?
The amount of time you need to cook sweet potatoes depends on both the size of the spuds and the temperature of your crockpot.
It usually takes around 6 to 7 hours to cook medium-sized sweet potatoes on the low setting, and between three and a half to four hours on the high setting.
It is a good idea to start checking the sweet potatoes thirty minutes early to avoid overcooking.
Test the sweet potatoes by carefully removing the largest one from the slow cooker and inserting a fork into the center of the potato. A perfectly cooked potato will have little to no resistance.
If the fork doesn’t go in smoothly, cook for thirty minutes more and then recheck. Larger sweet potatoes may need up to an hour of additional cooking time.
Extra Tips for Cooking Sweet Potatoes
- Choose the right sweet potato. Not all sweet potatoes are the same. There are many varieties that fall into two different categories: dry and starchy or moist and sweet. Most people prefer sweet potato varieties that are moist and sweet. Sweet potatoes in this category tend to have orange or red skin, and you can find them under sold as Red Garnet and Jewel in the supermarket.
- Long and low is the superior way. When you need to get dinner on the table, and you don’t have all day to cook your sweet potatoes, then, by all means, opt for the higher heat and the shorter cooking time option. But if you have the time, your sweet potatoes will develop a richer, more complex taste and a pillow-soft interior by cooking them for a longer time at a lower temperature.
Baked Sweet Potato Toppings
What type of toppings go well on a sweet potato? Your possibilities are limitless. You can go sweet or savory. Here are some ideas for you!
- Butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar
- Garlic Chili Sauce, and Parmesan cheese
- Feta cheese, and pomegranate seeds
Purists may prefer eating sweet potatoes with nothing but a generous pat of butter, but you can get much more creative than that. Turn your slow cooker sweet potatoes into mashed or take your corned beef hash to the level!
Meal Prep Ideas for cooked Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are perfect to use in meal prep. You can prepare the potatoes ahead of time, and you can use them in a variety of ways. You can:
- Mash them and turn them into mashed sweet potatoes
- Use a potato masher and combine them with some chipotle pepper in adobo sauce for some savory mashed potatoes
- Grab some marshmallows and turn this into your favorite sweet potato casserole
- They make great sweet potato fried hash for breakfast
- Love dessert? Turn them into sweet potato pie.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
- Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- Horseradish Sweet Potatoes
- Boston Market Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Topping
- Sweet Potato Puffs
- Sweet Potato Souffle
- Sweet Potatoes with Candied Pecans
- Sweet Potato with Honey Butter and Brown Sugar
Favorite Crock Pot Recipes
Do you want more of our recipes? Follow us on Facebook.
How to bake Sweet Potatoes in a Crockpot
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- Wash and scrub sweet potatoes.
- Place sweet potatoes into a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours, or on high for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Test the sweet potatoes by carefully removing the largest one from the slow cooker and inserting a fork to the center of the potato. A perfectly cooked potato will have little to no resistance. If the fork doesn’t go in smoothly, cook for thirty minutes more and then recheck. Larger sweet potatoes may need up to an hour of additional cooking time.