Burbank’s sweet potato casserole with raisins and pecans is a classic Southern side dish and will be the star of a holiday meal. This casserole goes perfectly with ham and turkey and is great for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
The Perfect Holiday Side Dish
Burbank’s Sweet Potato Casserole is the perfect dish for the holiday season which is all about meeting family members and enjoying comforting food.
Why You Should Try This Quick Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
This homemade sweet potato casserole is bursting with flavors and is perfect for get-togethers, especially during the holidays. You can prepare this delicious sweet potato dish easily and quickly – it’s one dish you won’t need to spend hours on in the kitchen.
Burbank’s Sweet Potato Recipe – Ingredients You Will Need
Here is a quick ingredient list of what you’ll need for making this sweet potato casserole:
For the casserole body:
- Sweet potatoes
- White sugar
- Raisins (optional)
- Vanilla extract
And for the brown sugar pecan topping:
- Light brown sugar
Are Sweet Potatoes the Same as Yams?
No, sweet potatoes and yams come from totally different plant families and are not even closely related.
Yams are tubers, like regular potatoes, and are mainly cultivated in tropical regions of the world. Several different types are grown for food and their taste can be sweet or bitter. They are also somewhat dry and starchy.
Sweet potatoes, on the other hand, are edible roots like carrots or beets. They are widely grown in the southern United States and are typically sweet tasting and moist.
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes for Sweet Potato Casserole
Baking: Baking sweet potatoes intensifies their lovely flavor and sweetness. Any temperature from 300 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit will work – the length of time depends on the size of the sweet potato and the oven temperature. Prick them with a fork and leave the skin on. Be careful – if you bake them too long, they begin to go mushy, so after about 40 minutes, give them a poke with a fork every 5 to 10 minutes and remove them as soon as they’re soft.
Boiling: If you want to boil sweet potato, scrub the raw potato under running water, peel it, then cut it into cubes to speed up the process. Make sure to cut your sweet potatoes into approximately equal-sized pieces so they cook at the same rate. And be careful not to overcook them as they tend to absorb water. Be sure to drain off all the water.
Quick Prep in the Microwave: Pierce each sweet potato a few times with a fork and cover it with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high or use the potato setting for 11 to 15 minutes until tender. When cool, scoop out the potato flesh and mash until smooth.
You can also cook sweet potatoes in a CrockPot which is great to do the day before.
Quick Sweet Potato Casserole – How to Make It
This easy sweet potato casserole can be assembled in no time. Here are the simple steps:
- Stir together the casserole ingredients and place the mixture in a 9 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Mix together the topping ingredients and spread it in an even layer on top of the potato mixture.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes or until heated through.
Homemade Sweet Potato Casserole – Variations
You can easily vary this sweet potato casserole to suit your family’s tastes. Here are some ideas:
- Replace the vanilla with cinnamon, nutmeg, and/or ginger.
- If you want even more sweetness, use candied pecans or add some salted caramel.
- Stud your topping with some cranberries.
- If you must have marshmallows (or your kids are demanding them), add them on top of the pecans.
Sweet Potato Casserole – Different Topping Ideas
Pumpkin Seed/Oat Crumble: Mix together the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Maple Meringue (a change from marshmallows)
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 jar marshmallow crème
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites, vanilla, and salt at high speed until foamy. Gradually add the maple syrup and beat to get stiff peaks.
- Beat 1/3 of the marshmallow crème into the egg white mixture. Add the remaining crème and beat until smooth (approximately 1 minute).
- Spread or pipe the meringue topping in a decorative pattern. Bake the casserole for about 15 minutes or until the topping is lightly browned.
How to Serve Burbank’s Sweet Potato Casserole
This is the best sweet potato casserole to serve with chicken, ham, pork, or turkey. It’s great for your holiday dinner along with other accompaniments such as:
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Leftovers will be fine stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat by covering the dish with aluminum foil and baking in the oven for about 25 minutes.
To freeze: Wrap tightly in foil. Frozen leftovers can stay fresh for up to 3 months.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
- Boston Market Sweet Potato Casserole
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Steakhouse Sweet Potato
- Sweet Potato Puffs
- Sweet Potato Souffle
Favorite Copycat Side Dish Recipes
- Cracker Barrel Baby Carrots
- Cracker Barrel Bacon Baked Beans
- Lawry’s Creamed Spinach
- Olive Garden Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
- Red Lobster Crispy Brussel Sprouts
- Saltgrass Steakhouse Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Sweetie Pie’s Mac and Cheese
- Texas Roadhouse Green Beans
This recipe was generously sent in by a fellow viewer, Stephanie Ziegler.
Burbank’s Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet Potato Base
- 3 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter melted
- 1/2 cup raisins optional
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix all the ingredients for the sweet potato base and transfer the mixture to a 9×9-inch glass pan.
- Mix all the ingredients for the topping and spread the mixture on top of the sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until heated through.