Air Fryer Avocado Fries are great for an appetizer, side dish, or snack. Creamy avocado slices with crispy panko parmesan crust will have you going back for more.
You may be over the avocado toast craze, but there are still a lot of ways you can still enjoy avocados. They are great in a sandwich, on a salad, or as fries. Yes, you read that correctly. Avocado fries are genuinely amazing! If you haven’t tried one of the avocado fries recipes floating around the internet, then what are you waiting for? They make a wonderful side dish or a snack, and they are full of healthy fats. Try the air fryer avocado fries recipe below, and you can indulge without the guilt of regular frying.
What Makes Air Frying So Fantastic?
We all love fried foods, but we also know that deep-fat frying isn’t the best cooking method for our waistlines or hearts. Sure, you can bake french fries and other fried favorites in the oven and then pretend that the food taste as good as when it comes out of the regular fryer, but you know it doesn’t! Air fryers solve the problem by using a tiny amount of oil and circulating hot air to give the food the taste, color, and texture of fried food without all the fat and calories.
Air fryers were invented in 2010 but have only become popular over the past couple of years. This recent growth of popularity is due to the availability of quality low-cost machines and the increasing number of online air fryer recipes and cookbooks. A top-of-the-line air fryer is under 200 bucks, and you can find decent models for less than a hundred. If you love fried food, and really, who doesn’t, you probably want to add an air fryer to your kitchen arsenal.
Preparing the Avocados
Buying avocados is a bit of a gamble. You never really know what you will get. Rock hard avocado can become mushy overnight, and you can cut open one that feels perfectly ripe, only to discover it is full of black spots. Luckily, choosing avocados for making this recipe is pretty easy. The best avocado to turn into fries is slightly unripe. So, look for avocados that are firm but still dent a little when you apply some pressure.
If you want, you can use a knife to cut the avocado in half and then use a spoon to scoop out the avocado, but this method doesn’t always work for firmer avocados. A better way is to use a potato peeler to peel the skin off. Be careful. The skin can be slippery, and peelers are very sharp. Once you peel the skin off, then you can cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Slice the avocado lengthwise into half-inch wide strips.
Tips For Preparing and Serving Avocado Fries
- Change up the panko bread crumb seasonings. Substitute your favorite spice mixture for the Italian seasoning and parmesan cheese. Taco seasoning or Cajun seasoning is perfect in this recipe.
- Serve with a good dipping sauce. The ideal sauce for avocado fries is something a little on the spicy side to balance the creaminess of the avocados. Campfire Sauce, a spicy, smoky mayonnaise-based sauce, or Awesome Blossom Dipping Sauce with its horseradish kick is ideal.
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Italian herb seasoning
- Ground black pepper
How to Make Avocado Fries in an Air Fryer
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pits.
- Slice the avocados lengthwise.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the sliced pieces and set them on a plate.
- In a small bowl, add panko crumbs, salt, pepper, Italian herbs, and parmesan cheese. Stir to thoroughly combine.
- In another small bowl, stir cornstarch and water until smooth.
- Dip each avocado slice in the cornstarch slurry.
- Coat the slice with the panko breadcrumb mixture.
- Repeat for remaining each avocado wedge.
- Transfer prepared slices to an air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Air fry at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, flipping through halfway.
- Repeat the same for the remaining avocado slices.
- Serve your fried avocado with ketchup, Sriacha, or your favorite dipping sauce.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies
- Cheese Fondue
- Cheesy Spinach Dip
- Cream Cheese Wontons
- Deep Fried Mushrooms
- Fried Cheese Curds
- Fried Mozzarella
- Quick Candied Jalapenos
- Texas Cheese Fries
Air Fryer Avocado Fries
- 2 medium avocados
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs see note below
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pits. Using the knife, slice the avocadoes lengthwise and using a spoon, scoop out the sliced pieces out and set aside on a plate or a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix panko breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, Italian herb, and parmesan cheese using fork and set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix corn starch and water to milky consistency without any lumps.
- Dip each avocado slice in corn starch slurry and then coat with panko crumb mixture until well coated. Repeat the same for remaining avocado slices.
- Transfer the prepared slices to air fryer basket in a single layer and air fry at 350*F for 10 minutes, flipping through halfway. Repeat the same for remaining avocado wedges.
- Once done, serve the avocado fries with ketchup or your favorite sauce.
- 2 parts dried basil
- 2 parts dried oregano
- 1 part rosemary
- 2 parts parsley
- 1 part thyme
- 1 part red chili flakes
- 1/3 part garlic powder (optional)