Carrot Cake Cupcakes with cream cheese frosting is a wonderful dessert. Buttermilk and warm spices make these homemade cupcakes moist and delicious.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
You can make the best carrot cake cupcakes from scratch. The heavenly scent filling your home when they are baking will have everyone’s mouth watering.
Carrot cake’s fragrant spices and rich cream cheese frosting make it a favorite dessert. This carrot cake recipe takes all that traditional goodness and transforms it into stuffed cupcakes. These pineapple and coconut-free cupcakes are perfect for enjoying at home or on the go. The taste of these moist carrot cake cupcakes is something everyone in your family will love, and that’s okay because they are quick and easy to make.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Vegetable oil
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground clove
- Ground nutmeg
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Cream cheese
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Chopped almonds for garnish
How to Make Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- Place cupcake liners in a muffin pan.
- Combine all dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves).
- In a large bowl, whisk oil, brown sugar, and white sugar together until well combined.
- Add in eggs one at a time, stirring after each addition.
- Add the buttermilk and vanilla extract and stir until combined.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture a little at a time.
- Add the grated carrot and stir to combine.
- Add a scoop of the mixture to the cupcake liners.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from the pan and while the cupcake is still warm, press the center of the cupcake with the back of the spoon to create an indent.
- Cool cupcakes to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, mix cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
- Place the cream cheese mixture into a piping bag and pipe it into the cupcakes.
- Sprinkle cinnamon and chopped almonds on the top of the cupcakes.
How to Fill a Cupcake
Hidden inside each carrot cake cupcake is a cream cheese filling surprise making it extra delicious. but a bit tricky to do without making a mess. However, filling cupcakes without making a mess can be tricky.
Here are two different ways to fill a cupcake. Choose the one that works the best for you.
The most common method is by using a piping bag. A piping bag is nothing more than a plastic bag with a hole at one end for a pastry tip. There are lots of different types of tips, but the one that is most useful in this carrot cake cupcake recipe is called a Bismark tip.
The Bismark tip, sometimes referred to as a number 230 tip, is long and slender, ideal for reaching deep inside a cupcake without creating a large hole.
To use the piping bag method:
- Attach the Bismark tip and fill the bag with the cream cheese mixture.
- Squeeze out a small amount to remove any excess air, then stick the tip of the bag into the top center of the cupcake and push down until the end is about two-thirds of the way inside.
- Slowly pull the tip straight out while gently squeezing.
If you don’t have a piping bag, there is no need to run out and buy one to make this carrot cake cupcake recipe. As an alternative, you can hollow out the cupcake and fill it with the cream cheese mixture.
To fill cupcakes without a piping bag:
- Take a small paring knife and hold it at a 45-degree angle, pointing towards the cupcake’s center.
- Cut out a circle on the top of the cupcake that is about an inch and a half deep.
- Fill the hole with the cream cheese mixture.
- Cut the top off the section you removed from the cupcake and use it as a plug to fill the hole.
Tips for Decorating and Storing These Easy Carrot Cupcakes
- Conceal the hole with a topping. With the cream cheese frosting already inside, there is little point in adding more on the outside, but that doesn’t mean you can’t decorate your carrot cupcakes. Walnuts and sliced almonds go particularly well with carrot cake. If you find the nuts are not staying on the cupcake, try brushing a little honey diluted with water on the top to help the nuts stick better.
- This recipe makes perfect Easter carrot cupcakes. Kids will love it when you add a few of these cupcakes to their Easter baskets. You can make the cupcakes more festive by topping them with pastel sprinkles or candy quins.
- Keep the cupcakes in the refrigerator. Since the cupcakes contain cream cheese, they need refrigeration. Store in a covered container for up to five days.
Popular Cake Recipes
- Ambrosia Cake
- Angel Food Cake with Pineapple
- Chocolate Pudding Cake
- Coca Cola Chocolate Cake
- Duncan Hines Sock it to Me Cake
- Jello Cake
- Lemon Cream Cake
- Old Fashioned Carrot Cake
- Pistachio Pudding Cake
- Pound Cake using Cake Mix
Favorite Easter Dinner Recipes
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup grated carrots
Cream cheese filling
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove powder) and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk oil and sugar together (both white and brown sugar) till everything is combined well.
- Add in the egg one at a time. Incorporate it well into the mixture. Now add the buttermilk and vanilla extract and mix.
- Now start adding the dry mixture to the wet mixture little at a time. Once the flour is mixed properly add the grated carrot and give it one final mix.
- Add a scoop of the mixture into the cupcake liners and bake for 12-15 mins.
- Once baked remove from pan and while the cupcake is still warm press the center of the Cupcake with the back of the spoon to create an indent.
- Let the cupcakes cool.
Cream cheese filling
- Take a large bowl and mix cream cheese and butter together until smooth.
- Now add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and mix until the mixture becomes smooth again.
- Add the cream cheese mixture to piping bag and pipe it into the cooled cupcakes.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon powder and chopped almonds on the top.