A Jello poke cake is a fun way to celebrate any holiday. Using a white cake mix and different colors of Jello, you can create a cake in any color combination that you desire!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Colorful Holiday Poke Cake
I love this holiday poke cake. While you should use a white cake mix you can use any color of Jello you want. This way your cake can be themed any way you like.
Before you make one of these cakes, check out this article on 11 Crazy Discontinued Jell-O flavors.
Make a fun and festive cake!
This cake is always in season. If you want to have fun with the holidays, use lime and cherry for Christmas.
You could use a double layer of cherry Jello for Valentine’s day.
And use cherry red and berry blue Jello for a patriotic Fourth of July poke cake.
Now, you don’t have to limit yourself to just the holidays. If you have a favorite sports team, school, or perhaps you just want to try out different color combinations, this is the cake for you!
Jello Flavors and Colors
Not all flavors of Jell-O are available all year long. Amazon has a good year-round selection, but prices are generally less in your local grocery store.
|Jell-O Flavor||Poke Cake Color|
|Black Cherry Jell-O||Dark Red|
|Blackberry Fusion Jell-O||Maroon Red|
|Cranberry Jell-O||Warm Red|
|Fruit Punch Jell-O||Red|
|Lime Jell-O||Light Green|
|Melon Fusion||Bright green|
|Peach Jell-O||Orange Peach|
|Island Pineapple Jell-O||Bright yellow|
|Raspberry Jell-O||Dark Warm Red|
|Strawberry Jell-O||Cooler red|
|Strawberry Banana Jell-O||Red|
|Watermelon Jell-O||Dark Pink|
Here’s a list of what you need
- White cake mix and ingredients listed on the package
- Cool Whip
How to Make Jello Poke Cake
- Prepare white cake layers in round 9-inch pans as instructed on the package.
- Place cooled cake layers top side up in the cake pans.
- Pierce cake layers with a large fork at ½-inch increments.
- Stir boiling water into each flavor of Jello in separate bowls for 2 minutes or until dissolved.
- Carefully pour one color of Jello over one cake layer and the other color Jello over the second cake layer.
- Refrigerate cake layers for 3 hours.
- Dip one cake pan in warm water for 10 seconds then unmold onto a serving plate.
- Spread whipped topping over the cake layer.
- Unmold the second layer and carefully place it on top of the first layer.
- Frost top and sides of the cake with whipped topping.
- Refrigerate for one hour before serving.
Jello Poke Cake Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, they should be refrigerated. The Jello will dissolve into the cake when left at room temperature for too long.
When you make this cake, you will poke holes in it after you bake it to allow the Jello to have enough room to go into the cake.
You can, BUT, the Jell-O stays put, pudding slides around more.
Use a large serving fork, skewer, or wooden spoon handle.
Have fun with your own holiday poke cake or special occasion cake! If you have made one, let me know the colors you used.
Can’t get enough cake? Try these recipes!
- Pistachio Pudding Cake
- Duncan Hines Sock It To Me Cake
- Angel Food Pineapple Cake
- Chocolate Coca Cola Cake
- Chocolate Pudding Cake
- Mountain Dew Cake
- Pound Cake with Yellow Cake Mix
- Ambrosia Cake
- Rum Cake
- Strawberry Poke Cake
Favorite Jello Recipes
Jello Poke Cake
- 2 baked 9-inch white cake layers
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 packages Jell-O colors/flavors of choice
- 12 ounces Cool Whip
- Place cake layers top side up in two 9-inch round cake pans. Pierce cake layers with a large fork at 1/2 inch increments. Stir 1 cup boiling water into each flavor of the gelatin in separate bowls for 2 minutes or until dissolved. Carefully pour 1 gelatin over 1 cake layer and the other gelatin over the second cake layer. Refrigerate for 3 hours. Dip 1 pan in warm water for 10 seconds; unmold onto a serving plate. Spread with 1 cup of whipped topping. Unmold the second layer and carefully place it on top of the first layer. Frost with remaining whipped topping. Garnish as desired. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.