Vanilla sugar can be found in high-end gourmet and spice stores. Have you ever wondered how to make vanilla sugar?
Vanilla sugar is a luxury item you can make at home. It is easy to make flavored sugar from scratch. Often this type of sugar is expensive and is only available in higher-end spice shops. This recipe really needs three basic ingredients. You will need sugar, vanilla beans, and some time.
Homemade vanilla sugar tastes just as good as what you can buy
When you make your own flavored sugar, you won’t need to find a substitute for vanilla sugar. When you learn how to make vanilla sugar you can have an abundant supply of this much sought-after sugar.
How to choose the best vanilla beans
There are many reputable places to buy vanilla beans online. If you buy them from a store there are are a couple of steps you can take to make sure that you get the freshest ones available. When you pick up the bean you should make sure they are pliable, avoid ones that do not flex, they have lost the essentials oils you will need. Make sure the beans are plump, skinny ones that do not bend have lost their oils and will produce pour results.
How to prepare vanilla sugar
This type of sugar is so easy to make, you need you to buy some fresh vanilla beans, and use some white sugar. Pour the sugar in a non-reactive container like a glass jar. Cut the beans open with a sharp knife, and scrape the seeds out of the bean and put them into the jar. Give the jar a good shake. Then place the beans into the sugar. Then every few days give the jar a good shake. In a few weeks, you will have delicious vanilla sugar that is better than what you can purchase.
Ways you can use Vanilla Sugar
- Use in coffee instead of regular sugar.
- It makes the perfect topping for creme brulee
- Use in homemade hot chocolate
- Use in frosting recipes like buttercream, or cream cheese frosting
- Sprinkle on toast along with cinnamon for some quick and easy homemade cinnamon toast
- Top a fruit pie with a sprinkle of vanilla sugar
- Sprinkle on homemade biscuits before baking in the oven
- Prepare homemade sugar scrubs for a lovely scent.
Places to purchase fresh vanilla beans
I hope you try making your own homemade flavored sugar. Enjoy this everyday luxury when you make it at home.
How to make vanilla sugar
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 vanilla bean pod
- You can use regular sugar to make this, and you will need one vanilla bean pod. Vanilla bean pods can be purchased online or they can be found in many grocery stores. Place sugar into an air tight container. Bruise vanilla bean pods by bending and twisting the vanilla bean with your hands. Open the vanilla bean with a knife by splitting down the middle. Scrape out some of the seeds by running the back of the knife down the inside of the vanilla bean pod. Place the vanilla bean pod and the seeds into the container with the sugar. I like to roughly cut my vanilla bean pod into smaller pieces to help liberate some of the vanilla flavor into the sugar. Once the two pods are sliced open, cut into smaller pieces put the lid onto the container and shake. Your vanilla sugar will be ready in a couple of weeks. Every day or so shake the container, to help mix everything together, this will make your vanilla sugar taste good. You can use the sugar straight from the container, and you can even add a little more sugar as you use some of the vanilla sugar. You will know the vanilla sugar is done because the sugar won’t be white anymore, it will be a lovely off white color with lots of specs of vanilla beans throughout the sugar. One tablespoon of finished vanilla sugar has the flavor of 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Vanilla beans should be soft and pliable when purchased. Do not purchase beans that are hard. The beans should be fat, shiny, and maybe even have some white residue on them. The residue is vanillin, and it s wonderful indicator of the good flavor inside the beans. If you are going to use the seeds for one recipe, consider making vanilla sugar out of the pods that you will have left over from that recipe. Instead of buying more pricy vanilla syrup for my coffee in the morning, I use vanilla sugar. Do you have any food luxuries that you really enjoy? Can you make any of these luxuries at home to use or even to share with others?