Ina Garten’s Pan Fried Onion dip is so much tastier than any dip you will buy in a store. Try this dip soon, and it will be part of your regular rotation of party recipes.
Make delicious Pan Fried Onion Dip
This is a rich and wonderful take on plain French onion sour cream dip we are so familiar with. This recipe is easy to make and would be perfect for a tailgate party. Carmelized onions taste so much better than what you buy in the grocery store as the prepared dip, now this dip is good as soon as it is prepared. I think it would be better if you let it sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before serving, but honestly, it has never lasted that long at my house.
Looking for delicious dips to serve?
Pan-Fried Onion Dip
- 3 cups chopped yellow onions
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Cut the onions in half and then slice them into 1/8-inch thick half-rounds. (You will have about 3 cups of onions.)
- Heat the butter and oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes until the onions are browned and caramelized. Allow the onions to cool.
- Place the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until smooth. Add the onions and mix well. Taste for seasonings