Savor the rich flavor of Ina Garten Onion Dip! This dip is a luxurious blend of pan-fried caramelized onions and creamy ingredients, creating a decadent dip that’s perfect for chips or veggies. Each bite of this French onion dip is a journey of taste, with the caramelized onions offering a sweet depth that beautifully contrasts the tangy creaminess. This wonderful dip by culinary queen Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa, is a must-make for parties and game day.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
What Makes This Pan Fried Onion Dip So Good?
Chips and dips bring a lot of flavor to party platters for very little work. There are a ton of different dips out there, but French Onion Dip remains one of the most popular. It makes sense, too.
The creaminess of the cream cheese and mayonnaise soften the tang from the sour cream and onions, while the spices add just enough heat to tantalize your tongue. If you are planning a get-together or just want to whip up a satisfying snack, try this recipe.
Why You Should Try This Recipe for Your Next Gathering
The secret to this addictive dip is caramelizing the onions before using them. Cooking the onions until they are dark brown brings out their natural sweetness and adds another dimension of flavor that is missing from most French Onion Dip recipes.
Sure, this dip may take a little longer than making a version without caramelized onions, but once you try it, you’ll know that extra time in the kitchen was worth it.
Caramelized Onion Dip Ingredients
For Ina Garten pan-fried onion dip, you’ll need:
- Yellow Onions
- Unsalted Butter
- Vegetable Oil
- Cayenne Pepper
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Cream Cheese
- Sour Cream
Use a neutral oil like canola or grapeseed in this recipe.
Since so much of the flavor in this dip comes from the caramelized onions, you can swap out reduced-fat versions of the sour cream and mayonnaise without losing a whole lot of taste.
How to Make Ina Garten French Onion Dip
To caramelize the onions:
- Peel and slice the onions into thin slices about an eighth of an inch thick. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. For the best results, you shouldn’t use a pan with a non-stick coating.
- Add the oil and butter to the pan.
- Swirl the pan gently, and once the butter melts, add the onions, cayenne, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cook the onions for 5 to 10 minutes until they become translucent. Stir occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir. Continue to cook the onions while stirring from time to time.
- After the onions turn dark brown, spread them out on a baking sheet to cool.
To finish preparing the ultimate version of onion dip:
- Place the cream cheese on the counter to soften.
- Put the softened cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise into the bowl of a stand mixer. If you don’t have a stand mixer, put it in a mixing bowl and use a handheld mixer.
- Whip the mixture at medium speed with a paddle attachment until smooth.
- Mix the cooled caramelized onions into the rest of the dip using a rubber spatula.
- Transfer the Ina Garten Onion Dip to an airtight container and chill for at least thirty minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Transfer the dip to a serving container and let it come up to room temperature before serving. Use a smaller serving container since you shouldn’t save any leftover dip. If you run out of dip, do not refill the same serving container without washing it out first.
What to Serve With Ina Garten Onion Dip
Potato chips, preferably the thick-cut variety, are the classic dippers, but there are a lot of other options.
- Raw or blanched veggies. Carrot sticks, celery, cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, bell pepper strips, broccoli, and cauliflower are delicious and nutritious choices. Blanch the cauliflower and broccoli florets in salted boiling water for a minute and then cool them in an ice-water bath. Drain well before serving.
- Something starchy. Pretzels, tortilla chips, bagel chips, and breadsticks are all good choices.
- Use the dip as a sauce on a sandwich or baked potato. It goes particularly well on a turkey sandwich.
How to Store the Onion Dip
Unserved Ina Garten Caramelized Onion Dip must be in an airtight container in the fridge. Once served, discard all of the leftovers.
How Long Does Ina Garten French Onion Dip Last?
This dip is best within 12 hours, but it should keep fresh for up to three days in the fridge.
Looking for delicious dips to serve? Try these!
- Avocado Dip
- Creamy Jalapeno Dip
- Dill Pickle Dip
- Hamburger Cheese Dip
- Lasagna Dip
- Mississippi Sin Dip
- Red Hot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Sausage Rotel Cream Cheese Dip
- Seven Layer Dip
- Veggie Dill Dip
More Game Day Recipes
What is your favorite dip for parties? What do you think about this recipe? Let me know in the comments below. And remember to share your dip recipes by tagging me on Instagram!
Ina Garten Onion Dip
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups sliced yellow onions half-rounds, 1/8 inch thick
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- thick-cut potato chips to serve
- Heat the butter and oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and sauté for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes until the onions are browned and caramelized. Allow the onions to cool.
- Place the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until smooth. Add the onions and mix well. Taste for seasoning and serve with potato chips.
- Make sure the cream cheese is fully softened or it won’t incorporate all the way.
- Store the onion dip in a air-tight container in the refrigerator. But you will want the dip to be room temperature when you serve it.
- This dip goes with anything but it’s great with chips, vegetables or even spread on your favorite hamburger recipe.