Let’s face it, you can never go wrong with a recipe from Ina Garten, especially a pan-fried onion dip. Ina Garten’s Pan-Fried Onion Dip proves that the Barefoot Contessa takes Onion Dip to another level.
Make delicious Pan-Fried Onion Dip
This is a rich and wonderful take on plain French onion sour cream dip we are so familiar with. This recipe is easy to make and would be perfect for a tailgate party, holiday gathering or any movie night. Caramelized onions taste so much better than what you buy in the grocery store as the prepared dip, now this dip is good as soon as it is prepared. I think it would be better if you let it sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before serving, but honestly, it has never lasted that long at my house.
How to make Ina Garten’s Pan-Fried Onion Dip
The key to making this onion dip is getting the onions just right. The flavor of the caramelized onions is perfect in this recipe.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chopped Yellow Onions
- Unsalted Butter
- Vegetable Oil
- Ground Cayenne Pepper
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Cream Cheese
- Sour Cream
First, cut up the onions. In a large skillet, melt the butter and oil together. Add the onions, cayenne pepper, salt & pepper for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to cook for another 20 minutes or until the onions are browned and caramelized. Set aside. In a mixing bowl, mix the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayo with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the onions and serve.
- Make sure the cream cheese is fully softened or it won’t incorporate all the way.
- Store the onion dip in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. But you will want the dip to be room temperature when you serve it.
- This dip goes with anything but it’s great with chips, vegetables or even spread on your favorite hamburger recipe.
Looking for delicious dips to serve?
What is your favorite dip for parties? What do you think about this recipe? Let us know in the comments below. And remember to share your dip recipes by tagging us on Instagram!
Ina Garten's Pan-Fried Onion Dip
- 3 cups chopped yellow onions
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Cut the onions in half and then slice them into 1/8-inch thick half-rounds. (You will have about 3 cups of onions.)
- Heat the butter and oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes until the onions are browned and caramelized. Allow the onions to cool.
- Place the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until smooth. Add the onions and mix well. Taste for seasonings
Recipe Tips for the Cook
- Make sure the cream cheese is fully softened or it won't incorporate all the way.
- Store the onion dip in a air-tight container in the refrigerator. But you will want the dip to be room temperature when you serve it.
- This dip goes with anything but it's great with chips, vegetables or even spread on your favorite hamburger recipe.