Does this Kitty Litter Cake look just like a Cat Litter Box? Yes! You can make one of these fun cakes. It’s a fun gag cake great for April Fool’s Day or a gross Halloween dessert.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
What is Kitty Litter Cake?
Kitty Litter Cake is a dessert that looks like a cat litter box with poop on top. It’s made with crumbled cakes and cookies mixed with pudding. Tootsie rolls are used for poop decoration.
Cat Litter Box Cake Notes
So first off let me say, this recipe should be made in jest. You should use only a new and clean little box to make this cake. Likewise with a new pooper scooper.
One should not confuse this with an actual litter box. Using an actual litter box would be disgusting and gross. I am 100% certain no cat owner would confuse the cake for a real litter box. So let’s move on.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- German chocolate cake mix plus ingredients listed on the package
- White cake mix plus ingredients listed on the package
- White Sandwich Cookies
- Instant vanilla pudding mix
- Green food coloring
- Tootsie Rolls
- New kitty litter box
- New kitty litter liner
- New kitty litter scoop
How to Make Kitty Litter Cake
- Prepare and bake cake mixes according to package directions.
- Cool the cakes to room temperature.
- Prepare pudding mix and refrigerate it until ready to assemble.
- Crumble sandwich cookies in a blender or food processor.
- Place ¼ cup of the crumbled cookies in a bowl, add a few drops of green food coloring, and mix using a fork.
- Crumble cakes into a large bowl.
- Add half of the remaining cookie crumbs to the cake crumbs.
- Add some of the pudding and gently toss to combine. Add more if needed for the mixture to be moist but not soggy.
- Line a new, clean kitty litter box.
- Put the cake mixture into the litter box.
- Place green cookie crumbles and Tootsie rolls on top of cake mixture.
Kitty Litter Cake Decorations
Now you can be creative to make the accouterments for the cake:
- You can color some coconut green to make some green crumbs to represent the deodorizing crystals that are in some kitty litters.
- Use Tootsie rolls to represent what cats often leave behind when they visit the little box.
You can change the flavor of the cake with different cake mixes or cookies. Here are some ideas:
- Use graham crackers or pecan sandies instead of vanilla sandwich cookies.
- Use spice cake instead of German chocolate cake.
How to Store
Cover the kitty litter cake with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Again, this recipe is in jest and is not for everyone. It’s a fun cake to bring to a party. A great cake for April Fool’s Day, Halloween, or cat birthday parties.
Popular Cake Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Pudding Cake
- Coca Cola Chocolate Cake
- Jello Poke Cake
- Lemon Cream Cake
- Peach Dump Cake Recipe
- Hershey Bar Cake
- Pistachio Cake
- Rhubarb Coffee Cake
- Sara Lee Pound Cake
- Scandinavian Almond Cake
Favorite Dessert Recipes
Kitty Litter Cake
- 15.25 ounces German Chocolate Cake mix
- 15.25 ounces white cake mix
- 8 ounce White Sandwich Cookies
- 8 ounce Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix
- Green food coloring
- 12 small Tootsie Rolls
- 1 *new* kitty litter box
- 1 *new* kitty litter box plastic liner
- 1 *new* pooper scooper
- Prepare cake mixes and bake according to directions (any size pans). Prepare pudding mix and chill until ready to assemble. Crumble white sandwich cookies in small batches in a blender, they tend to stick, so scrape often.
- Set aside all but about 1/4 cup. To the 1/4 cup cookie crumbs, add a few drops green food coloring and mix using a fork or shake in a jar.
- When cakes are cooled to room temperature, crumble into a large bowl.
- Toss with half the remaining white cookie crumbs and the chilled pudding. You probably won't need all of the pudding, mix with the cake and "feel" it, you don't want it soggy, just moist; gently combine. Line new, clean kitty litter box. Put mixture into the litter box. .
- Put three unwrapped Tootsie rolls in a microwave-safe dish and heat until soft and pliable. Shape ends so they are no longer blunt, curving slightly. Repeat with 3 more Tootsie rolls and bury in mixture.
- Sprinkle the other half of cookie crumbs over top. Scatter the green cookie crumbs lightly over the top; this is supposed to look like the chlorophyll in kitty litter.
- Heat remaining Tootsie Rolls, 3 at a time in the microwave until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake and sprinkle with cookie crumbs. T
- his is my addition–only: spread 5 of the remaining Tootsie Rolls over the top; take one and heat until pliable, hang it over the side of the kitty litter box; sprinkling it lightly with cookie crumbs. Serve with a *new* pooper-scooper. Note, this cake should be refrigerated when not being served.