Lady Bird Johnson’s Pedernales Chili is perfect if you are looking for a good chili recipe. Lady Bird Johnson was known to pass out this recipe to all.
Pedernales Chili was a chili recipe from Lady Bird Johnson’s cook, Zephyr Wright. She used to pass out this recipe to everyone. If you are looking for a classic Texas chili, this recipe is the one you want. This chili has no beans.
This chili con carne recipe was the chili that was served at the White House. The recipe was so popular she printed it out on recipe cards to pass out to anyone that wanted the recipe.
History of Pedernales Chili
This recipe was served at the LBJ Ranch, and at the White House. The Chili got its name from the LBJ ranch.
Pedernales is the name of the ranch owned by the Johnson family.
Flavorful Chili in a short amount of time!
This chili does not take long at all to prepare. In fact, you can have this savory and slightly spicy chili in just about an hour.
This recipe is not made with exotic ingredients and is very easy to make. You will need beef, chili powder, onions, tomatoes, and some hot sauce. This chili con carne is simply delicious and is quite a historical treasure.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Chili meat (beef chuck ground or diced)
- Dried Mexican oregano
- Ground cumin
- Chili powder
- Canned whole tomatoes
- Hot sauce, Frank’s Red Hot Sauce recommend
How to Make Pedernales Chili
- Saute the meat, onion, and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook until lightly colored.
- Add the oregano, cumin, chili powder, tomatoes, hot sauce, and water. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for about 1 hour.
- Skim off fat while cooking. Add salt to taste.
This chili recipe is over 70 years old, and a lot has changed this Lady Bird Johnson that created this recipe.
- Make it spicy. Our taste buds have gotten used to heat, so you may want to add additional heat to this chili.
- Thicken the chili. This chili is also a bit thin. You may want to add some masa or some crushed up corn chips to thicken this chili.
Can’t get enough chili? Try these recipes!
Hearty Soup and Stew Recipes
- Beef Stew with Tomato Soup
- Campbell’s Vegetable Beef Soup
- Cowboy Soup
- Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Easy Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Irish Stew
- Navy Bean Soup
- Olive Garden Tuscan Soup
- Pot Pie Soup
- Southwestern Chicken Soup
Lady Bird Johnson’s Pedernales Chili
- 4 pounds chili meat (beef chuck ground or cut into + inch dice)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 14.5 ounces canned whole tomatoes and their liquid
- 2-6 generous dashes of liquid hot sauce (I recommend Frank’s Red Hot Sauce)
- Saute the meat, onion, and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook until lightly colored. Add the oregano, cumin, chili powder, tomatoes, hot sauce, and 2 cups hot water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for about 1 hour. Skim off fat while cooking. Salt to taste.