Looking for a good chili recipe? Lady Bird Johnson was known to pass out this recipe to all.
Lady Bird Johnson's Pedernales Chili
- 4 pounds chili meat (beef chuck ground or cut into + inch dice)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 14.5 ounces canned whole tomatoes and their liquid
- 2-6 generous dashes of liquid hot sauce (I recommend Frank's Red Hot Sauce)
- Saute the meat, onion, and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook until lightly colored. Add the oregano, cumin, chili powder, tomatoes, hot sauce, and 2 cups hot water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for about 1 hour. Skim off fat while cooking. Salt to taste.