While dining at the Olive Garden recently, I noticed a menu item was now on their menu that they brought back due to popular demand. Olive Garden Sausage and Peppers Rustica is a fabulous dish to make, it easy to prepare, and makes an inexpensive and filling dinner.
Sausage and Peppers Pasta
Olive Garden Grilled Sausage and Peppers Rustica combines Italian sausage, fresh mozzarella cheese, and peppers to make a flavorful dish. I love that there is a hint of spice which really brings out the flavor of Italian sausage.
If you want to be low carb or gluten-free, you can take a pass on the pasta. It makes a hearty dinner all by itself.
Sausage and Peppers Rustica Ingredients
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Italian Sausage
- Bell peppers (red, green, yellow, or orange)
- Marinara sauce
- Red pepper flakes
- Olive oil
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Penne pasta
Olive Garden makes the dish with penne pasta. If you don’t happen to have any of this on hand, I think any pasta that you have will do. I have made it with spiral pasta.
I used red and yellow bell peppers. This is primarily due to the fact I hate, loathe, green bell peppers. Please feel free to use any type of bell pepper that you and your family enjoy.
If you wanted to make this recipe low carb you could use some of the low carb pasta.
You can use whole wheat pasta instead of regular pasta.
How to Make Sausage and Peppers Pasta
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions and place it in a large serving dish.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat
- Slice the sausage and place the slices in the skillet.
- Cook the sausage until browned then remove the sausage from the pan.
- Add olive oil to the skillet.
- Add peppers, onions, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Cook the vegetables until tender.
- Add browned sausage and red pepper flakes. Stir thoroughly.
- Add the marinara sauce and heat well.
- Add shredded mozzarella cheese and stir until it is melted.
- Pour the mixture over the pasta.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on top if desired.
What to Serve with Sausage and Peppers Pasta
Make your meal complete with everything from drinks to dessert!
Olive Garden Cocktails
Olive Garden Soups and Starters
Olive Garden Desserts
Olive Garden Grilled Sausage and Peppers Rustica
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 pound Italian Sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided use
- 2 sliced bell peppers you can use red, green, yellow, or orange
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 26 ounces marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese plus more for garnish if desired
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Place the cooked pasta in a large serving dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Slice the sausage into bite-size pieces and place them in the skillet.
- Cook the sausage until browned then remove the sausage from pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet.
- Add sliced peppers, onions, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Cook until the onions are transparent and the peppers have cooked until tender.
- Add browned sausage to pan and red pepper flakes and stir thoroughly.
- If you want this to be spicy, add more red pepper flakes, about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon depending on how spicy you want.
- Add the marinara sauce to skillet and heat well.
- Add ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Pour the mixture over the cooked pasta.
- Sprinkle a little shredded mozzarella cheese on top if desired.