Scalloped potatoes and ham is such a comfort food. Not only is a great way to use up left-over ham, but it is a one-pot meal, everyone will love.
Are you looking for the perfect cheesy ham and potato casserole? This recipe will help use up simple ingredients you already have in your pantry. You most likely have from fresh potatoes on hand, maybe you have some left-over ham, cheese, butter, flour, and a couple of other ingredients, and you will soon have a delicious plate of easy scalloped ham and potatoes.
What type of potatoes should you use?
Chances are you already have some russet potatoes on hand. Russet potatoes are ideal for this recipe, they are dense, starchy, somewhat creamy, and they are everywhere. You don’t have to go hunt down these potatoes. You can also use Yukon gold potatoes if you like, they have a slightly buttery flavor. I don’t recommend using red potatoes for this recipe because they tend to be waxy, so they won’t give you the creamy soft potato texture that we all love.
Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes and Ham Casserole
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups cooked ham
- 1 large green pepper chopped
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 5 cups Russet potatoes peeled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel, wash, and slice potatoes into 1/4 inch slices. Place sliced potatoes into a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat; blend in flour, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat gradually stir in milk. Return to heat; cook until thickened and bubbly. Fold in ham, onion, green pepper and cheese.
- Pour over potatoes in a large bowl. Stir gently then transfer into a buttered 13 X 9-inch baking dish. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake for 1 hour.