- 3 pounds chicken
- 4 stalks chopped celery
- 4 chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pimientos
- 1/2 cup chopped blanched green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place chicken in large pot and add water to cover (about 3 quarts). Add vegetables and salt and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender and separates easily from the bone.
- Remove chicken from stock and set aside. Reserve stock. Shred or chop chicken. To make the roux, melt butter in 3-quart saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour and cook for 1 or 2 minutes. Bring 8 cups reserved chicken stock to slow boil and gradually stir into the roux.
- Simmer until soup takes on a glaze, about 15 minutes. Add pimientos, green pepper, 1/2 cup shredded or chopped chicken and ground pepper. Simmer for few minutes, stirring constantly. Serve in heated bowls. Use remaining chicken in salad or crepes