Whataburger Creamy Pepper Sauce is a great burger topping, sandwich spread, or dipping sauce. Chipotle peppers in adobo gives it the right amount of flavor and spicy kick.
This tasty sauce is low carb and keto friendly.
Whataburger is a popular burger chain across the southern half of the United States. The restaurants are famous for their made-to-order burgers, patty melts, and french fries. Oh, and, of course, the much-loved pepper sauce. Whataburger Creamy Pepper Sauce. This Whataburger Creamy Pepper Sauce recipe combines well-seasoned mayonnaise and smoky chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, with a splash of acidity to make the flavors really pop. Mix up a batch of this stuff, and you won’t ever go back to basic ketchup again.
Table of Contents
What are Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce?
If you don’t do a lot of Tex-Mex or Southwest cooking, you’re probably not too familiar with this regional ingredient, and that’s a shame. This spicy sauce has earned a coveted place in many recipes for adding a unique smokiness and a good amount of heat to dishes ranging from burritos to sweet potato casseroles. But what is it actually?
Despite what you may think, chipotle peppers are not a type of chile pepper at all, but it is a way of preparing jalapenos. Jalapeno peppers are left on the plant to fully mature, giving them a rich, dark red color and significantly raising the heat level. After picking, the mature jalapenos are dried and then smoked, imparting them with their unique flavor. You can use chipotle peppers on their own, but most recipes call for adobo sauce.
Adobo sauce is based on ground ancho and guajillo chiles and contains vinegar, sugar, various herbs, and plenty of garlic. Traditionally, people used adobo sauce as both a marinade and a way to preserve meat, but these days it is more common to use it as a flavoring element in recipes. Be careful. Adobo sauce is spicier than you think, and since different brands vary widely, be sure to taste the sauce before deciding how much to add to the recipe.
Supermarkets usually stock at least one brand of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, but most big-city grocery stores have a few options. La Costena and San Marcos brands are top-rated.
Be sure you are buying the correct ingredient. If you just ask for adobo sauce in the store, you may get the Filipino version instead. Filipino adobo sauce is very different, and it won’t work for this recipe.
A Word About MSG
Many people are a little hesitant in using MSG, or monosodium glutamate, in recipes. However, according to the FDA, there is little to worry about despite anecdotal evidence cropping up from time to time. But if you are sensitive to MSG or prefer not to use it, leave the Accent out without worrying you will ruin the recipe.
Tips for Using and Storing Whataburger Creamy Pepper Sauce
- Go ahead and make a double batch. The sauce will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a month.
- It is not just for burgers and fries! You can use this creamy pepper sauce just about anywhere. It is excellent on hash browns, as a dipping sauce for chicken nuggets, and for dressing a Southwest-inspired salad!
Do you have leftover chipotle peppers in adobo sauce? Check out these recipes on YouTube to learn how to use it up!
Whataburger Creamy Pepper Sauce Recipe Ingredients
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Dry mustard powder
- White vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Ground white pepper
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Accent Seasoning (MSG) – optional
How to Make Whataburger Creamy Pepper Sauce
- Place all ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir to thoroughly combine.
Love homemade sauces? Try these recipes!
- Cocktail Sauce
- Creamy Jalapeno Sauce
- McDonald’s Big Mac Sauce
- Outback Steakhouse Tiger Sauce
- Red Robin Campfire Sauce
- Taco Bell Taco Sauce
- Yum Yum Sauce
Popular Fast Food Recipes
- Burger King Whopper
- Culver’s Butter Burger
- McDonald’s Big Mac
- Whataburger Breakfast on a Bun
- Whataburger Honey BBQ Chicken Strip Sandwich
- White Castle Sliders
Whataburger Creamy Pepper Sauce
- 1 cup kraft Mayonnaise You can use Duke's or Hellman's
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
- 1 1/3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon Accent (MSG) Optional
- Combine all in a small bowl. Mash the chipotle peppers as you stir them. Stir until you have a uniform mixture.
- Place in an air tight container, and wait 1 hour before serving for best flavor
- This stays fresh in an air-tight container for 2 weeks.