Whataburger Breakfast On A Bun is one of the most frequently ordered items when I am on the road. In fact, when I moved out of Texas for a few months, I wanted a couple of things: breakfast tacos and Whataburger.
Table of Contents
Whataburger Breakfast Menu
What makes a Whataburger restaurant so great? Good quality ingredients and the fact that what should be hot is always served hot. It’s not a minor quibble when a burger has that feeling that parts of it were pre-prepared a long time before I ordered it, and French fries are not served hot. When I moved out of Texas for a few months, I wanted a couple of things, breakfast tacos and Whataburger.
Whataburger Breakfast On A Bun is a great example of Whataburger’s wonderful menu items. Whataburger’s fries are always hot, and their iced tea is always fresh.
When in doubt about where to get breakfast or lunch, this place often comes to mind. They will customize your order any way you like it, and it doesn’t matter what you request, they will do it right. I feel like I could be a Whataburger commercial! At one point in my life, I used to carve out a special place in my budget for this restaurant.
If you don’t live near a Whataburger, or even if you do, you can replicate their breakfast burger at home. This copycat Whataburger Breakfast On A Bun recipe has just a few ingredients, but they go together so well – sausage or bacon, egg, and cheese. You can use a white or wheat hamburger bun for this burger recipe. Also, if a hamburger bun early in the day is too much bread for you, use two slices of sourdough or your favorite bread.
How to Cook the Egg
While I have seen those really handy egg forms in stores, they are a little overpriced for me. I find that a wide-mouth canning lid works very well to keep the egg nice and uniform. If you prefer to serve your egg sunny side up, spray your lid with a little non-stick spray. If not, flip the egg, then when the egg is done, run a knife around the lid rim to set the egg-free.
- You may be surprised at what’s in some fast food eggs – read about it here.
Tip from a reader: Cook some jalapenos in the egg and be generous with some picante salsa, and you’ll have a Whataburger Breakfast On A Bun (BOB) Ranchero.
Whataburger Egg Sandwich: If you aren’t a meat-eater, just omit the sausage or bacon.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Breakfast sausage patty or bacon
- American cheese
- Hamburger bun
Egg Rings for Round Eggs
I use a wide mouth canning lid to keep the egg nice and uniform. While I have seen those really nice egg forms in stores, I thought they were a little overpriced for me.
The wide mouth canning lid works very well. I have read you could use a tuna can with both ends cut off and use just the ring portion.
Now let’s get cooking.
How to Make Whataburger Breakfast on a Bun
- Place a skillet over medium heat and cook sausage or bacon in the skillet.
- Once cooked, remove sausage or bacon from the skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Place a wide mouth canning ring onto the skillet.
- Crack the egg and place the egg inside the canning ring.
- Flip the egg over and cook until the yolk is solid.
- When the egg is done, run a knife around the rim of the lid, and this will set the egg free from the ring.
- Place the sausage or bacon on the bottom bun, then egg, cheese, and top bun.
Love Whataburger? Try these copycat recipes!
Popular Breakfast Recipes
- Bacon Egg and Cheese McMuffin
- Bacon Egg Bites
- Dunkin Donuts Wake Up Wrap
- Egg White Bites
- Eggs in a Basket Recipe
- Eggs in the Oven
- Homemade Grits
- Krispy Kreme Recipe
- Old Fashioned French Toast
- Spinach and Feta Wrap
- Taco Bell Breakfast Quesadilla
Whataburger Breakfast On A Bun
- 1 breakfast sausage patty or 2 slices of bacon
- 1 egg
- 1 slice American cheese
- 1 hamburger bun
- Place a skillet over medium heat and cook the sausage or bacon in the skillet.
- Once the sausage or bacon has started to release some of the grease, place a wide mouth canning ring onto the skillet.
- Crack one egg and place the egg inside of the canning ring.
- Continue to cook the sausage or bacon and remove it from the skillet when done, draining on paper towels.
- Flip the egg over and allow the other side to cook. The sandwiches are served with solid, not runny yolks. When the egg has finished cooking (it should take about 30 seconds once you have flipped it over), remove it from the pan.
- To assemble the sandwich, place the sausage or bacon on the bottom bun. You can break the bacon in half so it will fit the hamburger bun.
- Add the egg, and then top with cheese. Place the top bun on top of the cheese.