Sonic Frito Chili Cheese Wrap is easy to make and tastes great. If you are a fan of Frito Pie, you will enjoy a Frito Chili Cheese Wrap.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
Sonic Drive-Ins have been serving up tasty food at the “Speed of Sound” since the 1950s. Although Sonic is known mostly for its burgers, drinks, onion rings, and in-your-car dining experience, the chain has expanded its menu to include many new favorites like the Sonic Fritos Chili Cheese Wrap.
The Sonic Chili Cheese Wrap was initially offered as a limited-time promotion, but when the chain discontinued the menu item, the diners’ disappointment was enough to bring it back in limited locations.
Making a Sonic chili cheese wrap couldn’t be easier. It is basically just chili with all the fixings and a handful of the famous Fritos corn chips all wrapped up in a tortilla. But don’t let the utter simplicity fool you. This is one great sandwich you really have to try!
Much Depends on a Red Can
If you are a chili lover, and you choose to use your family’s favorite chili to use in this recipe, these wraps are going to be popular around your house. But if your goal is to recreate the most authentic Sonic taste, you really need to crack open a little red can of Hormel chili. Make it the kind without any beans, please.
Sure, not everyone likes the idea of eating chili from a can, and that is fine. In that case, go ahead and make the recipe whatever freshly made chili you have on hand, but don’t expect to get the same taste as you would at Sonic.
If you want to skip the can but don’t already have a bean-free chili recipe you love, why not try making Chilis Original Chili Recipe or Lady Bird Johnson’s Pedernales Chili. The second recipe is one of the easiest chili around, but you will probably want to drain the chili well before making a wrap.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Flour tortillas
- Red onion
- Hormel chili
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Fritos corn chips
How to Make Sonic Frito Chili Cheese Wrap
- Heat the chili until warm.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave to make them pliable.
- Place Fritos on each tortilla, add chili, and sprinkle red onions and cheddar cheese on top.
- Fold the tortillas over the filling.
Tips for Making and Serving a Sonic Chili Cheese Wrap
- Make it your own with additional ingredients. Sonic offers diners several ways to customize their wraps, including adding extra cheese, spicy jalapeno slices, and onions. But don’t let what you can get at the drive-in limit what you do at home. Other great options are slices of avocado, a dollop of sour cream, shredded cilantro, and crumbled bacon.
- Don’t overstuff your wrap. Too much filling in a wrap can make eating messy. For an 8-inch tortilla,don’t use more than a cup of filling. You can increase that to a cup and a half if you are using 10-inch wraps. Remember to place the filling a third of the way from the bottom and leave enough space on the sides to fold them over.
Other Fritos-Based Dishes You Can Make at Home
No tortillas, no problem. You can use this same basic recipe to make a variety of different Sonic Drive-In menu items. Sonic Fritos Pie is almost the same recipe, just without the tortilla. Top a hamburger with a Fritos Pie, and you wind up with a Fritos Chili Cheese Jr. Burger. Do the same thing to a hot dog, and you get the Fritos Chili Cheesy Coney.
Love Sonic Drive-in? Try these copycat recipes!
Popular Fast Food Copycat Recipes
- Chipotle Barbacoa
- Culvers Burgers
- KFC Biscuits
- McDonalds Big Mac
- Pizza Hut Cheese Sticks
- Starbucks Egg White Bites
- Taco Bell Tacos
- The Whopper
Our recipes look as wonderful as they taste. Check them out on Pinterest!
Sonic Frito Chili Cheese Wrap
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup diced red onions
- 19 ounces Hormel chili
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups Fritos corn chips
- Heat the chili until it is warm.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave to make them pliable. If they are stale, you can sprinkle a little water on them to help freshen them up.
- Place 1/2 cup Fritos on each tortilla.
- Add a ladle of chili and sprinkle on the red onions and cheddar cheese. Enjoy!
- Fold the tortilla over the filling like a burrito. Enjoy!