If you are lucky you live near a Whataburger, if not, try this copycat recipe for Whataburger Chicken Strips. Whataburger Chicken Strips are simply delicious.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you live in the South, you have the opportunity to enjoy Whataburger. Whataburger is a fast-food restaurant in many Southern states.
I like Whataburger because the food is made to order, so you can customize anything the way you want. For years you could request menu items that were officially discontinued from the menu. You gotta love that they care enough to make the food you want.
Their chicken strips are very tasty. The breading tastes very good, and they are easy to make. So you can enjoy them anytime.
What makes these fried chicken tenders special? The chicken tenderloins are soaked in buttermilk. This makes the Whataburger Chicken Strips tender and extra flavorful.
The breading is also seasoned well, so these don’t taste bland as chicken breasts can. You may want to pair these with Texas Toast.
Table of Contents
Whataburger Chicken Strips Recipe Ingredients
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Chicken tenderloins
- All-purpose flour
- Ground black pepper
- Garlic salt
- Oil for frying
Unlock the Secret to Delicious Whataburger Chicken Strips
These chicken strips are deep-fried. You can make these in a deep fryer like my favorite T-fal FR8000 Oil Filtration Ultimate EZ Clean Easy to clean 3.5-Liter Fry Basket Stainless Steel Immersion Deep Fryer or you can fry these in an iron skillet.
How to Make Whataburger Chicken Strips
- Soak chicken tenderloins in buttermilk for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, salt, pepper, and garlic salt in a bowl.
- Add buttermilk into the flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Coat the chicken tenderloins with the batter and place them on a wire rack to dry a little before frying.
- Gently place a few chicken tenders into the hot oil.
- Drain fried chicken strips on a clean wire rack.
- Serve with chicken gravy or honey mustard sauce.
Love Chicken Strips? Try these recipes!
Favorite Fast Food Copycat Recipes
- Chick Fil A Sandwich Recipe
- Chicken Salad Chick Chicken Salad
- Copycat Chick Fil A Nuggets
- Culvers Burgers
- Dominos Cinnamon Bread Twists
- KFC French Fries
- Long John Silver’s Fish Batter Recipe
- Steak N Shake Chili
- Wendys Frostys
- Whataburger Patty Melt
Whataburger Chicken Strips
- 1½ pounds chicken tenderloins
- 2½ cups buttermiilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- oil for frying
- Soak chicken strips in buttermilk for about 2 hours before preparing the tender strips. Soak overnight for the best results.
- Make the seasoned flour by combining flour, salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Stir until it is well blended.
- Make a batter of the seasoned flour and buttermilk by pouring in about ½ cup of the buttermilk into the flour. You want the batter a little shaggy.
- Coat the chicken with the batter and place it on a rack and allow it to dry. The batter may fall off when cooking if you don't allow the batter to dry a bit before frying.
- Discard remaining buttermilk.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees.
- Gently place 3 or 4 breaded chicken tenderloins into the hot oil. Cook chicken tenders a few at a time until they are golden brown.
- Drain the fried chicken tenders on a clean wire rack.
- Serve with gravy or honey mustard sauce.