From tailgating parties, Superbowl bashes, wedding and baby showers and even before-dinner noshing, Rotel dip is a classic appetizer that features melting cheese and spicy tomatoes and chilies. There are many versions of this party favorite, and you can easily mix and match ingredients to create the perfect dip for your family and friends.
Ro-Tel dip is a classic appetizer that features melted cheese, spicy tomatoes, and chilies. It’s perfect for all manner of occasions – think tailgating parties, Super Bowl bashes, Fourth of July festivities, summer get-togethers, wedding and baby showers – or just enjoy it as a before-dinner nosh. There is no one standard version of this party favorite, so you can easily mix and match ingredients to create the perfect dip for your family and friends.
Basic Ro-Tel Cheese Dip With Velveeta
- Velveeta – Velveeta is the brand name of a processed cheese product that tastes something like American cheese, but is softer and smoother. As a result, it’s the perfect product for clump-free melting.
- Ro-Tel Tomatoes – Ro-Tel is the brand name of canned diced tomatoes with green chilies. The cans are available in varying degrees of spiciness and hotness to suit every taste bud. Ro-Tel makes ordinary appetizers and dishes come alive with the bold, festive flavor of the Southwest.
- The Dippers – Hearty dips call for sturdy dippers – you need a stable platform to support all that good creamy stuff. Some suggestions are corn tortillas, raw veggies, chunks of crusty bread, or even thick-sliced sausage (like kielbasa). Consider cutting pita bread into triangles then brushing lightly with olive oil and toasting in the oven.
You Can Play Around With the Basic Dip Recipe
There are endless possible variations on the basic Velveeta and Ro-Tel dip. For instance, you can throw in some veggies such as green peppers or celery. If you have used a mild Ro-Tel and you don’t think your dip will have enough heat, add a few dashes of hot sauce or pinches of dried chili flakes. You can even add a can or bottle of beer for a delicious, unusual twist. Here are a few more ideas.
- Zippy Salsa Cheese Dip – add some mild or spicy salsa.
- Uber-Yummy Chili-Cheese Dip – add a can of chili (with beans).
- Meat-Lovers Dip – add a pound of browned sausage or ground beef.
- Creamy Mushroom Dip – Add a can of low-fat cream of mushroom soup.
- Extra Cheesy Dip – Add a block of cream cheese.
Other Popular Velveeta Dip Recipes
- Chihuahua Cheese Dip – Velveeta, cream cheese, sour cream, grated sharp Cheddar, salsa, green chilies, olives, garlic powder.
- Hamburger Velveeta Dip – Velveeta, browned lean ground beef, chopped onion, salsa verde, salt and pepper.
- Nacho Cheese Dip – Velveeta, cream of chicken soup, chopped green chilies.
Always Have Velveeta on Hand
With Velveeta as a basic in your kitchen, you’ll always be ready to put a dip together, whatever the occasion. Rot-Tel dip is easy to make, versatile and always a hit! Try the following variation on the classic Ro-Tel Cheese Dip.
Rotel Cream Cheese Dip - A creamy twist on regular Rotel Dip. Always a hit!
Make the best Rotel Cheese Dip Ever
- 1 pound ground sausage, hot or mild
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 8 ounce container sour cream
- 1 8 ounce package Velveeta cheese
- 2 cans Mexican Rotel Tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons diced jalapeno peppers
Brown sausage and drain. Heat cream cheese, Velveeta and sour cream in microwave until melted. Stir in tomatoes and jalapenos. Add sausage. Pour in crock pot to keep warm. Serve with tortilla chips. Use Mild Rotel Tomatoes and mild sausage and omit jalapenos if you prefer a milder dip. Thanks to ohungry1 for sharing this recipe.