Irish Coddle stew can be served with hot bread for a hearty meal. I think this soup would go well with some Irish Soda Bread and some of the Raglan Road Guinness Dipping Sauce. This stew is hearty and full of meat, this dish will definitely satisfy the meat lovers in your home.
- 8 thick slices-hickory smoked bacon
- 1 pound pork sausages
- 2 cloves roasted garlic
- 2 large onions, julienne
- 2 poudns Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 12 ounces Guinness Stout
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven 350 to degrees. Quarter the potatoes, and blanch until just tender. Grill the slab bacon and pork sausages (this can be done in the oven).
- In a small pan sauté garlic, onions, potatoes, and mushrooms. Place the sausages, bacon, and vegetable mixture in a roasting pan or a casserole dish add the broth and Guinness stout and bring to a simmer. Cover and bake 1 hour in conventional oven finish with thyme, salt, pepper, and butter. Serve as a stew with Irish soda bread.