Baked Chicken Noodle Casserole is perfect dish for when you want a delicious comfort dinner that everyone will love. Best of all you can prepare this in under an hour, and have the whole family at your dinner table.
This simply baked chicken noodle casserole is the perfect dish for the weeknight or even a potluck dinner. Easy to make, and you can put this dish together ahead of time if you like and reheat it when you are ready to serve. This is a great way to stretch your cooking budget too. Chicken, noodles, a couple of cans of soup, and some frozen vegetables can go a long way.
For a recipe like this baked chicken noodle casserole dish, I find you can use the store brands of soup. I often do not think there is a great difference when making casseroles. So I often buy what is cheaper depending on if I have a coupon or not. For this recipe, you could also use some leftover chicken if you have some on hand. I love getting those rotisserie chickens that many stores sell. I love using them as they are the first night, and the second night they can get turned into just about anything.
If you like you could also bulk up this casserole with additional frozen vegetables, or you could even add some additional celery when we saute up all of the vegetables. You may be able to use what you have on hand as leftovers.
If you like you could add some cheese to this recipe, I personally love this when served with a sprinkle of Monterey Jack or Sharp Cheddar cheese. A handful of Panko breadcrumbs tossed on top means you can have a crunchy top to this casserole. Anyway, you would like your casserole served up, I hope you enjoy this comfort inspired dish.
Love Chicken casseroles? Be sure to check out these chicken casserole recipes
Baked Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast
- 1 medium chopped white onion
- 2 ribs chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 12 ounces mixed frozen vegetables
- 6 ounces egg noodles , cooked according to package directions
- 2 cups cracker crumbs (you can use Panko crumbs)
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- If you need to cook the chicken place chicken into a large stock pot with enough water to fully cover the chicken breasts. Cook chicken on a medium-high heat until the chicken is cooked through. Depending upon the thickness of your chicken this can cake 20 to 30 minutes. When chicken is done remove from water and cut the chicken into bite-sized cubes. If desired you can cook the noodles in the water that the chicken came out of for additional flavor.
- While the chicken is cooking, saute onions and celery together in a tablespoon of butter. Sprinkle with about 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook onions and celery until both are tender and the onions become translucent. Cook noodles according to package directions. If you cooked the chicken you may want to cook the noodles in the water the chicken came out of for additional flavor.
- Drain noodles after they have cooked. Prepare the creamy sauce by combining the two cans of soup mix and the sour cream together. Blend until you have a uniform mixture. Add onions and celery to the sauce. Add frozen vegetables to the creamy mixture and stir them in well. Fill a 2-quart casserole dish with cooked noodles, and add creamy sauce and combine noodles and sauce in the casserole dish. In a small dish combine cracker crumbs and melted butter and blend until cracker crumbs are coated with butter. Spoon cracker crumbs on top of casserole. Bake casserole for about 20 minutes before serving.