This dish is similar to a favorite potato soup that many people went to Bennigan’s for. This is a thick and filling potato soup that warms the soul.
Who doesn’t love potato soup? While they call this baked potato soup, I think that really refers to how the soup gets topped with bacon, cheese, and green onions. You are going to get more potato flavor if you cook the potatoes in the liquid that is in the soup. If you have some leftover potatoes you could add those into the soup.
Love Potato Soup? Be sure to try some of these potato soup recipes.
Bennigan’s Baked Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon Ham Base
- 1 tablespoon Chicken Base
- 2 quart chicken stock
- 6 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 1/2 cups diced potatoes
- 3/4 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Combine ham and chicken bases in a saucepan and whisk until no lumps appear. Melt 3 tablespoons margarine in a stockpot and saute onions until transparent. Add potato and pepper and stir until completely mixed. Add chicken and ham stock and stir until mixture begins to boil.
- While mixture is boiling, microwave the remaining 3 tablespoons margarine 20 seconds or until melted. Whisk flour into melted margarine and stir until it forms a roux into the stock. The soup will start to thicken. Bring soup back to a boil, then slowly add the milk, whisking constantly.
- When milk is incorporated remove from heat. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve. You can also add bacon bits, shredded cheese, and sliced scallions on the soup.