La Madeleine Country Potato Soup is a wonderfully creamy and rich potato soup.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Rich and Creamy Country Potato Soup
What makes the La Madeleine county potato soup so good? La Madeleine makes a delicious bowl of soup due to the leeks that are added to this potato soup recipe. Leeks had a mild flavor that taste like mild onions.
This soup uses onions in addition to the leeks, but the leeks really give this soup a very subtle flavor.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Unsalted butter
- Yellow onion
- Chicken broth
- Russet potatoes
- Fresh thyme
- Heavy cream
- Cheddar cheese
- Bacon, cooked and diced
How to Make La Madeleine Country Potato Soup
The soup starts out like many soups, you will saute the leeks and onions in butter until they are tender.
When you saute the leeks and onions together, you do not want to allow the leeks and onions to brown. Allowing the leeks and onions to brown will give the soup a nutty flavor that isn’t quite right for this soup.
Cook the onions and leeks until the leeks change color and the onions become translucent.
Once the leeks have cooked to perfection you will want to add the chicken stock, thinly sliced potatoes, and thyme.
You will gently cook the potatoes so their starch breaks down slightly and gives the potato soup a creamy texture.
You can use fresh or dried thyme, but try not to omit the thyme because it adds richness to the flavor of this potato soup.
You will cook the potatoes for about 40 minutes.
After the soup is pureed, it should be brought to a boil, and a small amount of heavy cream should be added to the soup.
How to Serve Potato Soup just like La Madeleine
- Top with shredded Cheddar cheese
- Top with chopped crispy bacon
Love La Madeleine? Try these copycat La Madeleine Restaurant Recipes
- La Madeleine Croque Monsieur
- La Madeleine Quiche Lorraine
- La Madeleine Tomato Basil Soup
- Strawberries Romanoff
Favorite Soup Recipes
- Cheddar Cheese Soup
- Olive Garden Toscana Soup
- Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Plain Potato Soup
- Seafood Bisque Soup
- Senate Bean Soup
- She Crab Soup
- Southwest Chicken Soup
- Tortellini Soup Instant Pot
La Madeleine Country Potato Soup
- ⅛ cup unsalted butter
- 3 cups leeks thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced yellow onion
- 1½ quart chicken broth
- 2 pounds russet potatoes peeled and sliced evenly in 1/4 inch slices
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- ½ cup bacon cooked and diced
- salt to taste
- In a large saucepan, add butter, leeks, and onions, and cook over medium heat.
- Add a pinch of salt to the leeks and onions as they cook. When the onions have become translucent, and the leeks change color add the chicken broth.
- Add potatoes, salt, and fresh thyme. Cook for 40 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently to avoid scorching.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender or in a standard blender.
- Add cream, bring to a boil and serve hot.
- Garnish with Cheddar cheese and diced bacon.
- If you like thick potato soup you can add an additional potato or two to this recipe.
- You can add about 1/2 cup cheese to the soup to turn it into a cheesy potato soup.