If you are lucky, you live in a part of the United States where you can actually go to a Big Boy. Many of us aren’t as fortunate to live in an area where you can eat one of these delightful fresh strawberry pies. But you can make one very easily. Fresh strawberries, whipped cream, and more go so well together. These ingredients make the perfect springtime pie.
I like to make this pie, and I sometimes use organic strawberries when I can find them. If you are trying to go dye-free, you can omit the red food coloring. This pie is thickened with cornstarch, and if you want to go gluten-free, you could use a gluten-free crust. This recipe was submitted by Pat Collins.
Do you love Strawberry recipes? Check out these Strawberry Recipes
Big Boy Strawberry Pie
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces butter at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1 quart strawberries , rinsed, stemmed, and dried
- 1 pint whipped cream for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Make the crust by combining the flour, margarine, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla. Mix well and press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Prick all over.
- Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. While the crust is baking, mix the water, granulated sugar, salt, cornstarch, and food coloring in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes, until thickened. Set aside to cool. When the crust is cool, pile the berries in the crust and pour the thickened glaze over the top. Refrigerate until the glaze is set. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or whipped dessert topping.