Are you looking for a unique, quick and easy dessert idea? Strawberry soup with pound cake croutons is the perfect dish for you. This creamy cold soup is perfect for a hot summer day.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
Cold Strawberry Soup
A few years ago I went to a large fancy breakfast; they served an amazing strawberry soup that was served with crispy cake croutons. I have wanted to recreate this particular dessert for a long time. This dessert was served at the conclusion of a very fancy brunch. While that occasion was very special, this dessert takes less than 10 minutes to prepare.
I love desserts in the spring and summer to be fresh and fast. This chilled strawberry soup fits perfectly with the seasons.
What Is Strawberry Soup?
Anyone can serve cake for dessert, but if you really want to impress your guests, make space for this cold Strawberry Soup recipe on the menu. This soup is incredibly quick and easy to make.
The medley of fresh pureed strawberries and creamy yogurt is fancy enough for a dinner party but so fun you’ll want to make it more often. It’s the perfect warm-weather treat!
What Makes This Recipe So Special?
Serving a fruit soup for dessert has a powerful wow factor, but the flavor makes this recipe stand out. This cold soup is more refreshing than cake or pastry and not as sweet as ice cream or sorbets.
The taste of the soup’s smooth tartness combined with the crunchy sweetness of pound cake croutons is definitely worth trying.
What Does Strawberry Soup Taste Like?
The base of this chilled Strawberry Soup has a very similar flavor to a strawberry smoothie, but the whipped cream and pound cake croutons make the dessert much richer and more satisfying.
Those who prefer more of the natural acidity of the strawberries come through can reduce or eliminate the additional sugar and whipped cream topping.
Strawberry Soup Ingredients
To make this strawberry soup recipe, you’ll need:
- Pound Cake
- Fresh strawberries
- French vanilla yogurt
- White sugar
- Whipped cream
French yogurt is thick and rich and tends to be naturally sweeter than other types of yogurts. Many people compare French yogurt to Greek yogurt, but it isn’t as tangy. If you can’t find French yogurt such as Oui, a good substitute is
How To Make the Perfect Chilled Yogurt Strawberry Soup
Here are the simple steps for making cold strawberry soup and those lovely toasted cake croutons:
To make the pound cake croutons:
- Slice four half-inch slices of pound cake and cube.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- After the butter stops foaming, add the cubed pound cake and allow to toast. Shake the pan gently every 15 seconds or so to ensure even browning.
- Once the croutons are golden brown and crispy, remove them to a plate lined with a paper towel to cool.
- You can make the pound cake croutons up to a day in advance. Store them on the counter in an airtight container until serving.
To make cold strawberry soup:
- Rinse the strawberries will and remove the stems.
- Toss the strawberries into a blender with some French Vanilla yogurt and a touch of sugar.
- Blend the strawberries, French vanilla yogurt, and sugar on the CRUSH setting until the strawberries break down.
- Switch to the PUREE setting and blend until smooth.
- At this point, you can pass the puree through a food mill for an even smoother consistency.
- Transfer to a covered container and store in the fridge until cold before serving.
How To Serve Strawberry Soup
When ready to serve, pour the soup into bowls and top it with the deliciously toasted cake and chopped strawberries.
Or you can serve the soup in a shallow bowl with a dollop of whipped cream in the middle. Top the whipped cream with a few slices of strawberries and thin strips of fresh basil if you wish. Arrange a few pound cake croutons in the bowl and serve with some extra on the side.
To create a delightful contrast of temperatures for the dessert, warm the pound cake croutons in an oven set on LOW for a minute or two.
What Pairs Well With Strawberry Soup
In addition to the pound cake croutons, a selection of cheese and crackers offers a nice contrast to the soup’s sweetness. Ruby or tawny port is perfect for anyone wanting a little tipple at the end of a meal.
How Long With Strawberry Soup Last?
This soup portion of this recipe will keep for up to five days in the fridge as long as it stays covered. It is best to use the pound cake croutons within a day.
How To Store Leftover Strawberry Soup
Store the soup covered in the fridge. Keep the pound cake croutons on the counter in an airtight container.
Love Strawberries? Try These Strawberry Recipes
- Easy Strawberry Pie
- Strawberry Bellini
- Strawberry Cream Cheese
- Strawberry Frappuccino
- Strawberry Romanoff
- Wendy’s Strawberry Frosty
Popular Summer Dessert Recipes
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie
- Chips Ahoy McFlurry
- Chocolate Delight
- Chocolate Ice Cream
- French Vanilla Ice Cream
- Peach Cheesecake
- Peanut Butter Ice Cream
Strawberry Soup with Toasted Pound Cake Croutons
Pound Cake Croutons
- 8 ounces pound cake
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound fresh strawberries washed and cored (plus extra to garnish, if desired)
- 1 cup French vanilla yogurt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- whipped cream optional
Pound Cake Croutons
- Cut the pound cake into 4 slices, each about 1/2-inch thick. Cut the slices into small cubes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of butter.
- When the butter is hot, place the pound cake cubes in the skillet and gently toast until they are golden brown, turning about every 15 seconds.
- Place the strawberries, French vanilla yogurt, and sugar in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the strawberry soup into serving bowls.
- Top with the toasted pound cake croutons, and garnish with fresh strawberries and whipped cream if desired.