Yes, Chick-fil-A has the quintessential comfort food now, you can get a creamy macaroni and cheese as a new side option. Their macaroni and cheese has the homemade taste you crave, so put down those waffle fries and try their classic macaroni and cheese recipe.
So often when you enjoy macaroni and cheese out, it is dry, pasty, and flavorless. The fast-food chain Chick-fil-A.set a high bar and created a special blend of cheeses and made a creamy cheese sauce that you will love when you take your first bite. Your taste buds will know that this is one of the best mac and cheese recipes you will ever try.
Ingredients you will need to make creamy mac and cheese
This recipe is very straightforward. In my opinion, this recipe is very close to the Outback Steakhouse Mac A Roo. My copycat recipe is made with several different kinds of cheese. For you to make this recipe you will need:
- American cheese – not Velveeta (that’s for Rotel dip) – go to your deli counter at your grocery store, and ask for this cheese. The deli version is rich, creamy, and full of flavor.
- Colby-Jack cheese – this is a combination of Monterey Jack cheese and colby cheese. Here are are using Colby instead of cheddar cheese, it is milder, and has a better melt than cheddar.
- Heavy Cream – this helps give you a rich sauce, and it also helps in reheating.
- macaroni pasta – I like to use a good brand like Barilla, or De Cecco.
Why should you use American cheese in macaroni and cheese?
American cheese has a bad reputation, and it shouldn’t. A good quality American cheese has good flavor, and one of the best melting profiles of any cheese. This sauce is made with heavy cream and American cheese. You can find American cheese in the Deli section of your grocery store, go ask them to cut you off a large chunk of it, or you can ask them to slice it. Chunk or sliced it doesn’t matter, you are going to melting it!
American cheese melts beautifully, it doesn’t get stringy, and oils do not separate out of the cheese. American cheese is a good base for mac and cheese, you can always add additional cheese for more flavor. In this has additional favors of Parmesan and Romano cheeses are added to really bring out the flavor. When you combine different kinds of cheeses you are going to get a side of mac and cheese that tastes just like chick-fil-a’s mac and cheese.
The CopyKat Analysis of this recipe
I don’t believe this is made with a dry mix or powder, because the flavor is too good. I believe their special cheddar blend comes in the form of American cheese because of the mouthfeel, but the flavor is not straight-up American cheese, it is more sophisticated. I think it also helps to account for the indistinct cheeses they mention in their original recipe. Romano and Parmesan can cut through American cheese to give you a better flavor, and a more interesting texture. I topped my version with Colby Jack cheese. The Monterey Jack melts wonderfully, and it browns up a bit. If you pay much attention to you will notice the restaurant version has the browning as well.
Can’t get to a Chick-fil-A? Make it at home!
Why is it we all crave those chicken sandwiches and waffle fries on a Sunday? I have no idea. They added one of the first permanent side addition in a long time. This recipe was tested in many select cities at many different local Chick-fil-A restaurants before being shared nationally. What’s the only drawback? You don’t have to be stuck with a small bowl of the new side dish when you may Chick-fil-A’s mac and cheese at home. With a little bit of work you can make this homemade mac and share cheesy pasta with the whole family.
Mac and cheese goes great with these dishes
- Watermelon Sangria
- How to Make Chick Fil A Sauce
- Cheese Curds Recipe
- Very Berry Hibiscus Starbucks
- Apple Sangria
- Homemade Bread Crumbs
- How long to boil Cabbage
Can’t get enough Chick-fil-A? Try these recipes
Chick fil A Mac & Cheese
- 16 ounces elbow
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/4 pounds American cheese
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Romano cheese
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 ounces Colby Jack Cheese shredded
- Fill a large pot 2/3 full of water. Add 1 tablespoon of salt. When the water comes to a boil add the pasta. Cook to al dente. Drain the macaroni noodles
- In a medium-sized pot add heavy cream, American cheese, Parmesan cheese, and Romano cheese. Melt cheeses with heavy cream over medium heat. Stir frequently. Do not allow the cheese to scorch.
- Turn the oven on to broil, on high.
- Place cooked pasta into a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish. Pour melted cheeses over the pasta.
- Add shredded Colby Jack cheese to the top of the pasta. Place under broiler.
- Broil just until the cheese begins to brown.