TGI Friday’s Mozzarella Cheese Sticks are a classic appetizer that have been served up at TGI Friday’s for a long time. Now you can recreate this recipe at home.
Going out for dinner so often means having that extra special treat with your meal. This recipe was requested by readers just like yourself. I think that the TGI Friday’s Mozzarella Cheese Sticks are extra special because the breading is thick and flavorful. So here is my version of this recipe. You will need to buy mozzarella cheese from the grocery store, but don’t use the buffalo style, because it will be too soft. Buy the cheese in the brick and it will work just fine. Be sure to serve this one up with your favorite marinara sauce.
For this recipe you can use any type of vegetable oil. Peanut oil is my personal preference, but I have used canola, vegetable oil, corn oil, and sun flower oil all with good results. If you don’t have a deep fryer you can use a 2 quart pot, simply add enough oil to your pot has about three inches of oil. When frying only fry a couple of cheese sticks at a time. This will keep the oil from cooling off too much. If the oil cools off too much the cheese sticks will absorb oil and become greasy.
TGI Friday's Fried Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 cup milk
- vegetable oil for frying
- Cut cheese sticks into long slices approximately 3/8 inch thick. Blend together the flour and cornstarch in a bowl. Place cheese plank into the flour, then dip into a bowl of whole milk and then dip the cheese stick into the breadcrumbs.
- Shake off excess breadcrumbs and place mozzarella stick on a wire rack. Discard the flour. Repeat until all cheese sticks have been dipped once.
- When all of the cheese sticks have been dipped once place back into milk, then into bread crumbs for the second time, and shake off the bread crumbs. Dip all cheese sticks into bread crumbs for the second time.
- Preheat vegetable oil to 350 for frying. Drop cheese stick into hot oil and fry until golden brown. This should take no longer than 1 minute. Remove cheese stick from oil and place on a wire rack to cool. Serve with your favorite marinara sauce.