Twice Baked Cauliflower is the perfect side dish for when you are on a low carb or a keto diet. This twice baked cauliflower with bacon can taste a lot alike twice-baked potatoes.
I can’t tell you how many times I have made this Twice Baked Cauliflower lately, but it has been more times than I can count. I got the inspiration for this recipe from Kalyn, at Kalyn’s Kitchen. She is one amazing low carb food blogger. Everyone around me has been on a keto diet, and sometimes you just miss old favorites like mashed potatoes. I am not one for saying something tastes like something else, I want it to taste close. I really think you can turn cauliflower into a good substitute for mashed potatoes when you mix in a few more ingredients.
For this recipe, I steam the cauliflower, in the video, I show you how to do this with an Instant Pot. You can steam cauliflower in your favorite way, that may be with a steamer, or perhaps you will want to dig around in your pantry for the steamer insert that came with your pot and pan set.
How to make cauliflower creamy
For me the real secret in this recipe is overcooking the cauliflower. If you overcook it until it is soft, it will have the texture of potatoes without all of the carbs. So normally I steam vegetables for about 4 to 5 minutes in my pressure cooker, for this one, I steam 7 minutes when I want the cauliflower to be extra smooth and creamy.
What to mix in to Twice Baked Cauliflower
You can mix in a variety of cheeses, some chopped onions or chives, bacon, and you can play around with your spice and herb blends. I love a smoked cheese in here, it really adds something extra to the recipe.
Love Low Carb? Enjoy these other Low Carb Recipes from CopyKat.com
Twice Baked Cauliflower
- 2 1/2 pounds cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup sliced bacon cooked, divided use
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese divided use
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese optional
- Steam Cauliflower in until soft. In the Instant Pot I recommend 7 minutes for super creamy cauliflower, and 5 minutes if you don't mind more texture. Perform a quick release on your Instant Pot.
- Place cauliflower into a large bowl, and add 2 tablespoons melted butter, sliced green onions, 1 cup of shredded Cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup bacon, sour cream, and cream cheese(if desired)
- Mix with a blender until smooth. Place in a 2-quart casserole dish and top with additional cheese and bacon.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees.