Twice Baked Cauliflower is the perfect side dish for when you are on a low carb or a keto diet. This twice baked cauliflower with bacon and cheese tastes a lot like twice-baked potatoes.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I can’t tell you how many times I have made this Twice Baked Cauliflower Casserole lately, but it has been more times than I can count. I got the inspiration for this recipe from Kalyn, at Kalyn’s Kitchen. She is one amazing low carb food blogger.
Everyone around me has been on a keto diet, and sometimes you just miss old favorites like mashed potatoes. I am not one for saying something tastes like something else, I want it to taste close. I really think you can turn cauliflower into a good substitute for mashed potatoes when you mix in a few more ingredients.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Green onions
- Cooked bacon
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Cream cheese
For this recipe, I steam the cauliflower. In the video, I show you how to do this with an Instant Pot. You can steam cauliflower in your favorite way. That could be with a steamer or perhaps you will want to dig around in your pantry for the steamer insert that came with your pots and pans set.
How to Make Cauliflower Creamy
For me, the real secret in this recipe is overcooking the cauliflower. If you overcook it until it is soft, it will have the texture of mashed potatoes without all of the carbs.
So normally I steam vegetables for about 4 to 5 minutes in my pressure cooker. I steam for 7 minutes when I want the cauliflower to be extra smooth and creamy.
How to Make Twice Baked Cauliflower Casserole
- Steam cauliflower until soft.
- Place cauliflower into a large bowl and add melted butter, sliced green onions, shredded Cheddar cheese, cooked bacon, sour cream, and cream cheese.
- Mix with a blender until smooth.
- Place the cauliflower mixture in a 2-quart casserole dish and top with additional cheese and bacon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
Use a variety of cheeses. I love using smoked cheese because it really adds something extra to the dish.
Add chopped onions or chives.
Mix in different spice and herb blends.
Favorite Low Carb Recipes
- Keto Broccoli and Cheese
- Roasted Cauliflower with Coconut Oil
- Bacon Egg Bites Recipe
- Chicken Alfredo Dip
- Cabbage and Sausage
- Keto Baked Pork Chops
- Butter Poached Fish
- Peruvian Chicken
- Homemade Italian Sausage
- Cajun Shrimp
Popular Vegetable Side Dishes
Twice Baked Cauliflower
- 2 1/2 pounds cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup sliced bacon cooked, divided use
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese divided use
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese optional
- Steam Cauliflower in until soft. In the Instant Pot I recommend 7 minutes for super creamy cauliflower, and 5 minutes if you don’t mind more texture. Perform a quick release on your Instant Pot.
- Place cauliflower into a large bowl, and add 2 tablespoons melted butter, sliced green onions, 1 cup of shredded Cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup bacon, sour cream, and cream cheese(if desired)
- Mix with a blender until smooth. Place in a 2-quart casserole dish and top with additional cheese and bacon.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees.