Asparagus with Cream Sauce is an easy way to prepare fresh asparagus. Asparagus is the perfect vegetable for any time of the year.
Do you love simple side dishes? I love side dishes that take no time to prepare. Sometimes just the mere fact you are putting dinner on the table is challenging.
So often when you are putting together a meal it is difficult to get everything to the table at once. A dish like asparagus with cream sauce means you can spend a minimum of time on a dish you will love.
This recipe is not mine; it is one that I adapted from the From Julia Child’s Kitchen cookbook. This one one of her books that included French recipes, but with an American palette in mind. Many of the recipes in the book are very simple and completely accessible by cooks of all skills.
What I love about the recipe for asparagus with cream sauce is that you can put this recipe on your table in about 15 minutes. When I purchase asparagus, I like to buy the thin stalks, as they are often more tender and they are not woody like thick asparagus can be.
If you buy thick asparagus, you may want to peel the skin off of it before you begin to cook it. The skin is where the woodiness can be.
Love asparagus? Be sure to try these similar dishes.
Oven Roasted Asparagus
Longhorn Steakhouse Parmesan Encrusted Asparagus
Swiss Asparagus Casserole
Mustard Sauce – this sauce is easy to make, and goes well with meat and vegetables.
Asparagus with Cream Sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds Asparagus washed and trimmed, this recipe works for 1 pound too
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons diced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Saute butter and shallots together over medium heat, cook the shallots until they are almost done. Add in asparagus. Coat the asparagus in the butter. Cook the asparagus, so that changes color. How long to cook asparagus will depend upon the thickness of the asparagus. Add a squeeze of lemon, and stir in the lemon juice and the heavy cream. Cook for 5 minutes more. Remove asparagus from the pan. Pour the sauce over the asparagus if desired.