Fruity Chicken Salad is a unique chicken salad that has nuts, white raisins, dried cherries, and more. This is the perfect meat salad to enjoy for lunch to bring to work or even a light dinner.
Table of Contents
Chicken Salad with dried fruit is perfect for a light lunch!
Chicken salad with dried fruits is a scrumptious salad to enjoy when you want a salad that is more complex and has a little something extra. I have made variations of this salad for years now. I recently served this at two catering events and received rave reviews over this chicken salad with dried fruits. I have used either dry cherries or craisins in this recipe, both work equally well. What makes me decide between the two? It depends on which one is on sale.
Ingredients for Chicken Salad
This recipe for fruity chicken salad is made with a simple set of ingredients. White chicken meat, mayonnaise, nuts of your choice, dried fruit, celery, and seasonings. When you make food from these simple ingredients, your food tastes good from wholesome ingredients.
Chicken tenders are ideal for chicken salad
When I want to make a chicken salad extra special, I buy chicken tenders. Chicken tenders are white meat, and they are often sold as a part of the chicken breast. The tender is a portion on the underside of the breast, that can be easily pulled off in a strip. The chicken tender is equivalent of tenderloin in beef or pork. Meat has a short grain, and when shredded they break into small pieces, so they are perfect for chicken salad. Chicken tenders can be purchased as a specific cut of poultry.
Easy variations for chicken salad
Looking to make your chicken salad taste a bit different? Try some of these great ideas for adding a bit of flavor to your chicken salad. You can try any one of these suggestions.
- A teaspoon of curry powder will add an unexpected flavor.
- Add a tablespoon of minced shallots.
- Add a teaspoon of dry Ranch salad dressing.
- Add a teaspoon of seasoned salt.
Need more ideas for chicken salad? Try these chicken salad recipes.
Chicken Salad with Dried Fruit
- 1 pound chicken breast s or 1 pound left over cooked chicken
- 3 ribs celery sliced
- 1 cup walnuts - pecans, and almonds also work well
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or craisins
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- If you don't already have cooked chicken available, you can poach the poultry in water or chicken broth. Poach chicken breasts by placing in a pot, and covering with water or broth, cook over medium heat for approximately 30 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked. Remove chicken from water, and when cool enough to touch shred the chicken breasts and place into a bowl.
- In a medium-sized bowl add sliced celery, nuts, dried fruit, and mayonnaise. Stir to combine the mixture well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Store in a covered container for up to 3 days before serving.