Cream Cheese Chicken is a delicious meal of tender chicken covered in a creamy sauce. It’s easy to make in a skillet and great for a weekday meal.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chicken with Cream Cheese Sauce
Chicken is an excellent protein. It’s inexpensive and easy to cook, but chicken recipes aren’t always inspiring. But you are in for a real surprise when you try this Chicken and Cream Cheese recipe.
The star of the show is the creamy cheese sauce. The hint of vermouth and garlic helps to balance out the richness of the cream cheese, adding an incredible amount of depth.
Why This is the Best Recipe For Chicken With Cream Cheese
This cream cheese chicken recipe is simple to make. It has a complex flavor profile that is mild enough for pickier eaters but not too bland to bore the rest of your family. You don’t even have to be a pro in the kitchen to make this meal!
As a bonus, the chicken cream cheese sauce is highly versatile, allowing you to use it as a fantastic pasta sauce or even as a baked potato topping.
Cream cheese chicken is low carb and keto-friendly. Serve it with a low-carb vegetable for a complete meal.
To make this cream cheese chicken recipe, you will need:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Ground black pepper
- Dry vermouth
- Garlic powder
- Cream cheese
- Green onion for garnish
The dry vermouth adds a hit of acidity and floral notes to this recipe, and you should certainly use it if you can. However, if you can’t, you will still need to use something to add a bit of a bite to the recipe to counteract the cream cheese’s heaviness.
An equal amount of dry white wine, like Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc, works well, as does white wine vinegar. You can also add a splash of fresh lemon juice to brighten the chicken sauce.
You don’t have to use full-fat cream cheese in this recipe, or even cream cheese at all. Neufchatel cheese is similar to cream cheese in taste and texture, but it’s lower in fat and calories.
How to Make Cream Cheese Chicken
There are two separate parts to this recipe; cooking the chicken and mixing the sauce:
To pan sear the chicken breasts:
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel and season both sides liberally with salt and pepper.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat until it is hot.
- Swirl the butter around the pan.
- When the butter stops foaming, put the chicken breasts in the pan and let them cook without touching for 7 to 9 minutes.
- When the first side is nicely browned, flip and cook until the chicken’s internal temperature is 155 degrees, about 6 more minutes.
- Remove the chicken breasts to a plate and cover with aluminum foil to keep them warm.
To make the cream cheese sauce for chicken:
- Return the pan to the burner and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Pour the dry vermouth into the pan and use a wooden spatula to scrape up the bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Let the dry vermouth reduce to about a third of its original volume.
- Stir in the room-temperature cream cheese.
- Add the garlic powder and a splash or two of the optional chicken stock or milk if you want.
- Whisk the sauce until it is smooth and has the same consistency as heavy cream.
- Return the chicken to the pan and turn to coat with the sauce. Let the chicken warm through before serving.
- Serve the chicken topped with the cream cheese sauce and garnished with sliced green onion.
How to Serve Chicken Breast With Cream Cheese Sauce
Plate the chicken with an extra spoonful or two of the cheese sauce and garnish with thinly sliced green onions. If you don’t like green onion, try using chopped parsley for a little additional color. Add extra protein with a bit of crumbled bacon bits for a perfect keto chicken cream cheese sauce.
What Goes Well With Chicken and Cream Cheese Sauce?
Pasta is the natural pairing with this dish. Short pasta like penne or rigatoni works the best because it is less messy. You can also service simple vegetable sides like roasted asparagus, broccoli, or steamed green beans.
How to Store Creamy Cheese Sauce With Chicken Breasts
This is a dish that is best to make right before serving. However, if you are in a rush, you can cook the chicken in advance and store it wrapped in the fridge.
Remove any leftover chicken breasts from the sauce and keep the sauce and the chicken in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to three days.
How to Reheat Leftovers
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Place the chicken in an oven-safe pan with a few tablespoons of water. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Heat the pan in the oven until the chicken is warm.
- Remove the pan from the oven and put it over medium-low heat.
- Pour the sauce on the chicken breast and add some milk to thin out the sauce.
- Stir over the heat until the sauce is hot.
Popular Chicken Recipes
- Chicken Madeira
- Chicken Romano
- Japanese Chicken
- Peruvian Chicken
- Ritz Cracker Chicken
- Smoked Whole Chicken
- Stuffed Chicken Marsala
Favorite Low Carb Recipes
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Keto Broccoli and Cheese
- Pan Fried Salmon with Cream Cheese Sauce
- Roasted Turkey Legs
- Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- Sour Cream Pork Chops
This recipe is from Toni’s Simply the Best cookbook.
Cream Cheese Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions for garnish
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a heavy skillet.
- Add the chicken breasts and brown them on each side until just barely done, 8 to 10 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Pour the dry vermouth into the same skillet and stir, deglazing the pan by scraping up any browned bits. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic powder and whisk in the softened cream cheese. The sauce should be the consistency of heavy cream. Add a little chicken stock or milk if it’s too thick.
- Return the chicken with any accumulated juices to the pan. Check for seasoning.
- To serve, spoon some sauce over the chicken and garnish with green onions. Serve with extra sauce on the side.