Baked chicken Parmesan is perfect for when you have to put dinner on the table, and you want something simple to put together that tastes good. It only takes 30 minutes to make!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Why This Recipe Is Perfect for Weeknight Cooking
These days, no one has the time to spend all day cooking. Whether working full time, taking care of your kids, or just enjoying life, having a few easy-to-prepare dinner recipes that use staple ingredients is a real blessing.
You can have this oven baked chicken parmesan in the oven in ten minutes, so there is no excuse to bring home expensive takeout.
What Makes This No Breading Chicken Parm Recipe So Good?
Besides the convenience factor of preparing this easy baked chicken parmesan recipe in the oven, it is much healthier than other versions. But that does not mean it doesn’t taste great, too.
There’s no breading which means there’s no mess and time involved with dipping chicken in egg and panko bread crumbs.
Serve this to your family for dinner tonight, and no one will miss the breading They will surely appreciate the reduced fat and calories in this baked parmesan crusted chicken dinner.
Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan is Perfect for Special Diets
One additional benefit of this recipe is that it is low-fat, and low in calories. There is no breading and nothing is fried, so it’s also gluten-free. Can’t have dairy, omit the cheese!
Ingredients for Chicken Parmesan
To make baked chicken parmesan, you’ll need:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Spaghetti sauce or marinara sauce
- Parmesan cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
Don’t be afraid to swap or leave some ingredients out. Here are a few suggestions you may want to try:
- Choose a new sauce. Opt for using a homemade spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce. This vodka sauce recipe would be amazing in this dish. Take your breadless chicken parm in a different direction by making the South of the Border version using enchilada sauce.
- Switch up your cheese. Forget the stuff that comes in a bag; using fresh mozzarella is a major upgrade. Shredded Monterrey Pepper Jack cheese adds a bit of spice. If making the South of the Border version, use a quesadilla or Mexican cheese blend for a more authentic flavor.
- Swap out the boneless, skinless chicken breasts. No chicken breasts, no problem. Turn the same basic recipe into baked parmesan chicken tenders, baked parmesan chicken thighs, or use whatever type of chicken you have on hand. You can even try the recipe using plant-based chicken if you are making it for a vegetarian.
How To Make Baked Parmesan Chicken
To prepare this easy baked chicken parmesan recipe:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Trim off any remaining fat or skin from the chicken breasts.
- Place the chicken in a bag, push out all the extra air and close tightly.
- Use the flat side of a meat tenderizer to pound the chicken. The goal is to even out the breasts to allow the chicken to cook more evenly.
- Dump the salt, pepper, and garlic powder into the bag and shake to coat the chicken.
- Grease the inside of a shallow dish with olive oil or cooking spray to prevent the chicken from sticking to the pan and to make cleaning up a lot easier.
- Put the seasoned chicken breasts into the baking dish.
- Cover the chicken with sauce.
- Cook the chicken breasts for 20 minutes or until fully cooked. Use a thermometer to make sure the internal temperature is 165°F.
- Top the chicken breasts with cheese and put the baking dish back in the oven until the cheese melts and begins to brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
Defrost chicken quickly and safely – No Microwave needed.
I always keep a few frozen chicken breasts in the freezer. I love the individually wrapped ones because I can defrost those quickly in a sink of warm water. I stick a plate on top of the frozen chicken breasts and wait about 15 minutes, and the chicken is fully defrosted.
What To Serve With Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan With No Breading
This dish can easily be a standalone meal, but there are lots of great sides that can go along with it. Of course, you can have it with your favorite pasta.
A crispy salad, simple vegetables like air fried broccoli or oven roasted asparagus would make a great addition. A few slices of crusty Italian bread or breadsticks help mop up any extra sauce, or you can use the bread to turn this recipe into a fantastic sandwich!
How To Store Leftover Baked Parmesan Chicken
Keep any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to three days.
To freeze, put each piece of extra chicken parmesan into a separate freezer bag once cooled. You can store the chicken parm in the freezer for up to three months. Thaw the chicken in the fridge overnight before reheating.
How to Reheat This Baked Chicken Parmesan Recipe
The best way to warm leftover chicken parmesan is in the oven:
- Preheat the oven to 300°F
- Place a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish. The sauce will keep the chicken from burning on the bottom.
- Put the chicken on top of the sauce and cover the top of the dish with aluminum foil.
- Heat the chicken in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven. Take off the aluminum foil and heat for another five to 10 minutes until hot.
If you are in a rush or are somewhere without an oven, you can reheat in the microwave:
- Put the chicken in a shallow bowl and cover.
- Heat for 90 seconds and check the chicken. If it is not hot enough, heat in 30-second bursts.
Love Easy Chicken Dinners? Try These Recipes!
- Buffalo Chicken Thighs
- Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas
- Chicken Cutlets
- Chicken Madiera
- Chicken Shoyu
- Chili’s Crispy Chicken Tenders
- Cream Cheese Chicken Breast
- Lemon Pepper Baked Chicken
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
Favorite Italian Recipes
Check out more of my easy chicken dinner recipes and the best Italian food recipes here on CopyKat!
Baked Chicken Parmesan
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts 4 portions
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 32 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, and spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
- If the chicken is very thick, slice it in half horizontally. Season the chicken with garlic powder, salt, and pepper, and place it in the prepared baking dish.
- Pour the spaghetti sauce over the chicken breasts, covering them completely.
- Bake the chicken breasts for approximately 20 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 165°F and the juices run clear.
- Remove the chicken from the oven.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. You may add mozzarella cheese if you like.
- To brown the cheese, turn your oven to broil and broil until the cheese turns brown. This may only take a minute or two.
- Serve with pasta tossed with pesto sauce.
- You can prepare this recipe with boneless pork chops.
I am attempting to make chicken parmesan in my toaster oven. I live in a hotel and make do with what I have. I made my own sauce, browned chicken breasts and topped with sauce and cheese. Broiled until bubbly. Deeeelicious!!! Kale with parmesan and garlic as my side and toasted buttered bread. It is wonderful!!!
Tried my first recipe of easy chicken Parmesan. I had no leftovers, family loved it and asked where I found it. Thanks will try more!
I am glad you enjoyed this one. I love this dish. It is so easy to make.
What a great idea about defrosting chicken. Much safer. The dish looks delicious! Thank you so much.
It is great way to defrost the chicken. It doesn’t take long at all.