You can make Macaroni and Cheese in a pressure cooker. I will show you how you can make flavorful macaroni and cheese in your Instant Pot.
I love my Instant Pot, if you are unfamiliar with these, they are an incredible pressure cooker and more. It serves as a pressure cooker, a slow cooker, a steamer, it makes yogurt, and much more. I have displaced many of my small kitchen appliances with this amazing appliance. It helped me to move out a couple of steamers, a rice cooker, and a slow cooker.
You might want to wonder why would you wish to prepare macaroni and cheese in a pressure cooker. When you cook it this way, the pasta can be infused with a lot of flavors. In this recipe, the pasta is cooked with a bit of hot sauce, and some dry mustard powder. This gives the pasta a lot of flavors.
For the cheeses, I am using two different types of cheese, a good Cheddar cheese, and some Monterey Jack cheese. I like this combination. The Cheddar provides a lovely color, and flavor. The Monterey Jack cheese gives this dish a nice melt that you are certain to enjoy.
For the hot sauce, you can use whatever you like. Tobasco, Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, both work well. I think this is an important ingredient for this recipe. You need a little bit of heat to make macaroni and cheese work well. The heat gives the dish some depth.
Frequently asked questions about making macaroni and cheese in the Instant Pot
- What type of pasta should I use? – please use only plain semolina style of pasta. Do not use gluten-free, high-protein, or other types of pasta. They won’t work well.
- Can I make boxed macaroni and cheese in the instant pot? – Yes. You should add about 1 1/2 cups of water, and the milk listed on the box of macaroni and cheese. Cook the pasta for 2 minutes, perform a natural release and then stir in the butter and the cheese package.
- When I perform a quick release a milky liquid sputters out of the vent, what should I do? – Wait about 4 to 5 minutes, and then perform the release again.
Love recipes for your Instant Pot? Check out these recipes.
Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 pound pasta (note all boxes are not 1 pound, also you need to use regular pasta, gluten free, and other pasta will not work)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup of milk or half and half
- 1 pound cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese
- Place the following in the instant pot, the pasta, water, dry mustard, and hot sauce. Pressure cook on high for 4 minutes. Perform a quick release on the pasta. If the Instant Pot sputters out a milky liquid, wait 4 to 5 minutes before performing the quick release.
- If the pasta needs to be drained, drain the pasta and place the pasta back into the pot.
- Stir in butter, cheese, hot sauce, and milk and allow the cheese it to melt. Serve promptly.
Recipe Tips for the Cook
- User only semolina pasta. Pasta that are whole-wheat, bean-based, low carb pasta, do not work well.
- Should the InstantPot sputter when you perform the quick release, open the pot more slowly, and consider placing a thick towel over the release