Delight your taste buds with Grilled Chicken Fajitas! This recipe brings together fresh lime juice, garlic, black pepper, and cilantro to create an unforgettable marinade. Tender boneless skinless chicken breasts are marinated to perfection and grilled along with colorful strips of red and yellow bell peppers and onions. Serve these fajitas with flour tortillas for a delicious family-friendly Mexican meal.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
What Makes Grilled Chicken Fajitas So Good?
Fajitas are a South of the Border favorite, but you don’t have to travel far to enjoy them. These super easy Grilled Chicken Fajitas are a lot tastier than what you can get at most chains, and you can make them at home using everyday ingredients. So skip the tacos on the next Mexican night and try this recipe for the best chicken fajitas instead.
Why You Should Try This Easy Grilled Chicken Fajitas Recipe
Fresh ingredients and bright flavors make this traditional Tex-Mex recipe such a hit. Easy to make and endlessly customizable, these chicken fajitas are going to become a new family favorite.
And don’t worry if you don’t have a grill. You can cook this chicken fajita recipe on the stove! Are you tired of tortillas? Then, check out the section below on additional ways to use the base recipe.
Grilled Chicken Fajitas Recipe Ingredients
For the marinade, you’ll need:
- Fresh lime juice
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
For the filling:
- White onions
- Bell peppers
For assembling the fajitas:
- Large flour tortillas
- Chicken, cooked
- White onions
- Bell peppers
- Tomatoes (optional)
- Salsa (optional)
- Pico de Gallo (optional)
- Guacamole (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
- Shredded cheese (optional)
How to Make Grilled Chicken Fajitas
To marinate the chicken:
- Roughly chop the garlic and cilantro and put them in a large mixing bowl with the fresh lime juice, olive oil, Kosher salt, and black pepper. Whisk well to combine.
- Add the chicken breasts and turn them to coat on both sides.
- Cover the bowl and marinate for at least an hour or as long as overnight.
To prepare the filling:
- Slice the onions and bell peppers into thin strips. Brush or toss them with some oil and grill them with the chicken.
- Shred the lettuce and dice the tomatoes, if using, and reserve for later.
To grill the chicken:
- Light the grill and bring it to medium-high heat. If you don’t have a grill, you can alternately use a cast iron skillet or grill pan.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry and cook the chicken on each side for six to eight minutes, depending on the thickness. Using an instant-read thermometer to check that the internal temperature has reached 165°F before removing the chicken from the grill is a good idea to prevent undercooking.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and tent it with aluminum foil to keep it warm while preparing the rest of the dish.
To assemble the fajitas:
- Stack the tortillas you plan on using and wrap them in aluminum foil. Heat them for about 10 minutes in a 300°F oven or on the grill grates for a few minutes.
- Slice the chicken breasts into strips.
- Lay a warm tortilla on your work surface and place a few chicken strips and any other filling ingredients down the middle of the top two-thirds of the tortilla. Fold the bottom against the filling and fold each side in. Doing this will form an open fajita.
Additional Ways You Can Serve Grilled Chicken Fajitas
Use the basic recipe as a jumping-off point for a few other dishes. Comment below on how you like to use leftover chicken fajita filling:
- Rough chop the filling, use it as a topping for a baked potato or sprinkle over tortilla chips and add melted cheese for the easy nachos.
- Turn the filling into a chopped salad by adding lettuce and tomatoes.
- Dice the basic fajita filling and stir it into simmering chicken stock to create a quick Tex-Mex chicken soup. Top each serving with salsa, sour cream, and corn chips.
- Use it as a filling inside a quesadilla or turn a boring frozen cheese pizza into a festive Mexican pizza.
What to Serve With Grilled Chicken Fajitas
Why not go all out and make a Mexican-inspired feast with these additional dishes?
- Charro Beans. Also called Frijoles a la Charra, this dish is a wonderful alternative to refried beans. These meaty beans are delicious and nutritious and go great with any Mexican-inspired meal.
- Queso Dip. Blanco Queso Dip is rich and creamy with just a touch of spice from the green chilies. Drizzle the dip on top of the filling or pair it with chips as an appetizer.
- Cinnamon Twists. Finish off your meal with a bowl of Cinnamon Twists. Similar in flavor to traditional churros, these addictive snacks are deep-fried and then coated in cinnamon sugar for an irresistibly crunchy treat!
How to Store the Leftovers
The components for this easy Grilled Chicken Fajitas recipe will last longer and stay fresher if you store them in separate airtight containers in the fridge. The cooked chicken will last up to three days but try to use up the onions and peppers after a day or two. Store the tortillas on the counter or freeze them.
What Is the Best Way to Reheat Grilled Chicken Fajitas
To warm up the filling, place a dry skillet over a medium-high flame and add the filling. Stir continuously until hot.
Favorite Mexican Recipes
- Burrito Casserole
- Charro Beans
- Chile Verde
- Chipotle Barbacoa
- Dorito Taco Salad
- Easy Taco Soup
- Fiesta Lime Chicken
- Taco Bell Enchirito
- Taco Bell Power Bowl
- Taco Casserole
Popular Chicken Recipes
Grilled Chicken Fajitas
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt + extra
- 6 tablespoons olive oil + extra
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 white onion sliced
- flour tortillas 8-inch taco size
- Combine the lime juice, garlic, cilantro, pepper, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 6 tablespoons of olive oil in a large bowl. Add the chicken, cover the bowl, and let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for a least 1 hour or overnight.
- Heat a barbecue grill to 350°F.
- Depending on the size of the chicken breasts grill for 6 to 8 minutes on each side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Allow the chicken to rest for 5 to 10 minutes after removing it from the grill. Then slice into 1/2-inch strips.
- While the chicken is cooking, place all the sliced vegetables into a bowl and drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add two pinches of salt and toss to coat. Place the vegetables on the grill for about 15 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Place the tortillas on the grill to heat through, and serve.