Burrito Casserole is a tasty and comforting Mexican meal! Savor the hearty flavors of taco-seasoned ground beef and refried beans in flour tortillas smothered with a creamy blend of sour cream and cream of mushroom soup, and topped with cheese. Baked to perfection in the oven, this dish combines burritos with casserole convenience.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
What Makes Burrito Casserole the Perfect Tex-Mex Casserole for the Whole Family
Feeding your family doesn’t have to be a hassle or expensive. The next time you need a lot of food without blowing your budget, try this easy Burrito Casserole recipe. It combines everything you already love about beef and bean burritos with the convenience of a casserole.
When you serve a casserole that’s packed with savory beef, perfectly spiced beans, and gooey cheese smothered in a cream sauce, you’ll get nothing but compliments.
Why You Should Try This Recipe
Besides being easy and cheap to make, it is simple to change the filling of the burritos to suit your taste or whatever ingredients you have on hand. Check out the “Recipe Variations” section below for a few suggestions, or post your own in the comments.
This creamy Burrito Casserole will win you fans at any potluck or block party, and it freezes beautifully, so you will always have something delicious in the house!
Baked Burrito Casserole Ingredients
For this ground beef burrito casserole, you’ll need:
- Ground beef – Lean ground beef is a great choice
- Yellow onion
- Taco seasoning
- Flour tortillas
- Refried beans, canned
- Condensed cream of mushroom soup. canned
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican blend cheese
- Green onions (optional)
- Tomato (optional)
- Picante sauce (optional)
How to Make This Easy Burrito Casserole Recipe
To prepare the filling for the burritos:
- Dice the yellow onions into small pieces. Keep it for later.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, start browning the ground beef. Add the diced yellow onions to the skillet once the meat has released some fat and juice.
- While stirring occasionally, cook the onions until they are translucent.
- Add the taco seasoning to the browned beef and finish cooking according to the taco seasoning package’s instructions.
- Stir the refried beans into the ground beef mixture and heat through.
To make the creamy burrito casserole:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the condensed cream of mushroom soup and a half cup of sour cream. Spread the mixture on the bottom of a 9 X 13-inch baking dish.
- Make enough burritos using the flour tortillas and the ground beef filling to cover the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Spread the remaining sour cream over the burritos and cover with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake Burrito Casserole uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Use a large serving spoon to plate the casserole. Serve with bowls of chopped green onions, diced tomatoes, and Picante sauce on the side.
Check out these versions, and if you create a new one, post it below in the comments, so everyone can try it:
- Chicken Burrito Casserole. Swap out ground beef for an equal amount of chicken. Use can use diced chicken or shredded rotisserie chicken. Replace the refried beans with a can of green chilies, and add minced hot peppers to taste.
- Bean Burrito Casserole. Stuff the burritos with Frijoles a la Charra.
- Beef and Bean Burrito Casserole. Leave out the refried beans and replace them with your favorite canned beans.
- Enchilada Casserole. Use corn tortillas and enchilada sauce.
- Vegetarian Burrito Casserole. Simmer canned black beans, sweet corn kernels, pepper strips, onions, and a can of RO-TEL with taco seasoning. Use the mixture as a filling for the burritos.
What to Serve With It
Why not keep the Tex-Mex theme going with your sides? These dishes go great with a baked Burrito Casserole:
How to Store the Leftovers
Allow the extra casserole to cool to room temperature before covering it with plastic wrap and putting it in the refrigerator for up to three days. Or transfer it to an airtight container.
You can also wrap the entire casserole dish in plastic and aluminum foil and freeze it for up to a month.
What Is the Best Way to Reheat
Reheating in the oven works the best:
- Thaw the frozen burrito casserole in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Remove any plastic wrap from the casserole and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake the casserole for 20 to 30 minutes. Ensure the filling of the burritos reaches at least 165°F before serving. Do not refreeze leftovers.
Favorite Casserole Dinner Recipes
- Chicken and Dressing Casserole
- Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Creamy Tuna Casserole
- Hamburger Corn Casserole
- Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
- Ritz Cracker Chicken Casserole
- Shrimp Casserole
Popular Mexican Casserole Recipes
- Cornbread Mexican Casserole
- Mexican Rice Casserole
- Mexican Tater Tot Casserole
- Taco Casserole with Tortillas
- Tamale Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 8 ounces sour cream divided use
- 10 flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped green onion optional
- chopped tomatoes optional
- picante sauce optional
- Brown the ground beef and onions in large skillet over medium-high heat; drain. Add the taco seasoning as directed on the seasoning package. Then mix in the refried beans.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix the cream of mushroom soup with 4 ounces of sour cream. Spread enough of the sour cream mixture to cover the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Place a scoop of meat on each tortilla, wrap like a burrito, and place seam-side down in the casserole dish. Top with the remaining sour cream and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes. Garnish with chopped green onions, chopped tomatoes, the remaining sour cream, and Picante sauce if desired.