McDonald’s Eggnog Shake is one of the items on McDonald’s menu that comes out around the Christmas holidays. Over the years their shakes have only tasted better and better, and this eggnog shake tastes so good you will want one all year.
McDonald’s is most famous for its burgers, but the chain serves up some of the most beloved milkshakes around. When the Christmas decorations go up, you know that you only have a few weeks to head to the Golden Arches to pick up a limited-time-only eggnog milkshake. Mickey D’s eggnog shake is so creamy and delicious that you almost don’t miss the alcohol. Almost. But by the time you unwrap your last gift, and the Christmas tree is starting to drop needles, the McDonald’s eggnog milkshake will be gone for another year. Don’t worry the recipe below will satisfy your eggnog shake cravings anytime you want, and it is so simple to make that you probably will find yourself serving them at your next holiday party!
How to Make a Milkshake Like an Old-Time Soda Jerk
With so few milkshake ingredients, the only difference between a good one and a great one is having the proper equipment and knowing the correct shake-making techniques. Luckily, you probably already have everything you need. You don’t have to invest in a dedicated milkshake maker, although they do look very cool. A halfway decent blender will work just fine for a simple milkshake like this one.
Take out the vanilla ice cream five to ten minutes before you begin making the milkshakes. You want the ice cream to be soft enough to scoop easily, but definitely not melting. For the best results, use an unopened container of ice cream to make your eggnog milkshakes. Depending on the type of package and your freezer, previously opened ice cream can develop ice crystals that can ruin a milkshake.
Once the ice cream is easily scoopable, scoop a cup for each serving into the blender. If you are adding any alcohol, pour it in now. Place the cover on the top, but take out the center cap. Turn the blender on low and slowly pour in the eggnog until you reach the consistency you want.
Finally, pour the eggnog shake into the frosted glasses, and pop in a thick straw, and garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and a maraschino cherry. Serve immediately.
Tips For Making and Serving the Best Eggnog Shakes
- Use your favorite type of vanilla frozen dessert. McDonald’s uses regular vanilla ice cream, but French Vanilla ice cream works extraordinarily well in this recipe. Surprisingly, low butterfat ice creams tend to make even creamier milkshakes. Replacing the ice cream with vanilla gelato or even frozen custard may be an exciting experiment.
- Spice things up a bit. A light sprinkling of cinnamon and freshly ground nutmeg into the blender before mixing will elevate your eggnog milkshake to gourmet standing.
- Make it an ‘adult’ milkshake. A shot of brandy, bourbon, or rum is always appreciated by those looking for a more traditional holiday tipple.
- Frost your serving glass to keep the milkshake ice cold. Wrap your glasses in damp paper towels and place them in the freezer for a few minutes. Take the glasses out and gently peel off the paper towels.
Do you like cooking videos? Check out our channel on YouTube.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Vanilla ice cream
- Whipped cream
- Maraschino cherry
How to Make an Eggnog Shake
- Place vanilla ice cream into a blender.
- Add eggnog and blend for about 45 seconds.
- Pour the milkshake into a glass.
- Top with whipped cream and a maraschino cherry.
You can easily modify this McDonald’s milkshake:
- Add a little sprinkling of nutmeg.
- Add a jigger of Bailey’s Irish Cream and turn this into more of an adult milkshake.
Either way, it is going to taste great!
Looking for more holiday recipes? Try these!
- Williams Sonoma Peppermint Bark
- Rocky Road Candy
- Cornflake Wreaths
- White Chocolate Oreos
- Pistachio Pudding Cake
- Holiday Poke Cake
- Rum Cake
- Frozen Hot Chocolate
More McDonald’s Seasonal Drink Recipes
McDonald’s Eggnog Shake
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup eggnog
- 2 tablespoons whipped cream
- 1 maraschino cherry
- Use a blender to prepare this shake. Scoop 1 cup of vanilla ice cream and place that into a blender. Add 1/2 cup of eggnog and pour this into the blender. Puree for about 45 seconds. Pour milkshake into a glass and add whipped cream and a maraschino cherry.