Cauliflower au Gratin with Pepper Jack Cheese is an easy-to-make savory side dish. You can put together this fantastic dish with tiny effort.
Cheesy Baked Cauliflower
Cauliflower is an excellent vegetable that is hearty and one that most everyone loves. I have been taking classes to become a chef this spring. Gratins are a dish that we make a lot of.
I wanted to update a classic French dish and make it with just a bit of spice. Pepper Jack cheese adds just a little bit of heat with the peppers that are in the cheese.
If you do not like Pepper Jack cheese you could use cheddar or Swiss cheese as either will work very well.
I like to make this baked cauliflower gratin and serve it with a roast. I also use it as a side dish with chicken, pork, turkey, or ham. I think it holds up well to a hearty meat dish.
Cauliflower au Gratin is low carb and keto friendly.
- All-purpose flour
- Pepper Jack cheese
Baked Cauliflower Gratin is Easy to Make
I think you will be amazed at how easy it is to make this easy side dish. You could use this same technique to make potato gratin or any other vegetable side dish.
How to Make Cauliflower au Gratin
If you have never made a gratin before, it is a very easy dish to make.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets.
- Cook the cauliflower in boiling salted water until it is tender but firm.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- Add the flour and cook it for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring as it cooks.
- Slowly add milk, stirring as the milk is added.
- After the milk is added, add half of the cheese. Stir until it has melted.
- Place the cooked cauliflower in a casserole dish.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the cauliflower.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, until the cheese is lightly browned.
Enjoy Cauliflower? Try these recipes!
Favorite Side Dish Recipes
- Baked Red Potatoes
- Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- Copper Pennies Recipe
- Cornmeal Mush
- Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
- Green Bean Bundles
- How to Cook Cabbage
- How to Cook Dried Black Beans
- Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
Check out more of my easy side dish recipes and the best low carb dinner recipes here on CopyKat!
Cauliflower au Gratin with Pepper Jack Cheese
- 3 pounds cauliflower
- salt for cooking cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 8 ounces Pepper Jack cheese (divided use)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut cauliflower into florets.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add cauliflower and cook until it is tender but firm, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, start the cheese sauce.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan.
- When the butter has melted completely, add the flour.
- Cook the flour for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring or whisking as it cooks.
- Slowly begin to add milk, whisking or stirring as the milk is added. The sauce should thicken with each addition of milk.
- After the milk is added, add 4 ounces of cheese. Stir until it melts completely.
- Place the cooked cauliflower in a large casserole dish.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower.
- Sprinkle remaining 4 ounces of cheese over the cauliflower.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. The gratin is done when the cheese is slightly browned.
What size dish
I used a 9 x 13 inch dish.
Just made it for Sunday dinner to go along with my roasted chicken. I substituted cheese because I did not have pepper jack. I used shredded gouda. Still delicious. Cant wait to make with pepper jack next time. Thank you for recipe
So delicious! I made this for Christmas Eve — it was a huge hit! I used FairLife Fat Free milk. I tried to go healthier yet by using coconut oil — DON’T DO IT! I had a palm-to-face moment with that…lol
It looks delicious when baked in the over. I have honestly never thought of that as I always just mix mine and serve it in a bowl. I like your idea much more. I also like to add pepper flakes for some zip
There are only two of us, so I would prefer using frozen cauliflower. How much do you think I would need? Also, would you defrost the cauliflower and then coninue with the recipe as written? Thank you for your help.
I cubed smoked gouda and used instead. Placed under the broiler at the end. Very good! Can microwave cauliflower in a glass dish if in a hurry.
This is similar to a recipe my family used to love. It was mayonnaise and mustard mixed together spread over the top of precooked cauliflower and then topped with cheddar cheese. Warm under the broiler until cheese melts. My kids couldn’t get enough of it. I think it was in one of the Better Homes and Garden Cookbooks.
I’m going to make this and add a few broccoli florets for the green and some chopped red pepper for the red to give it some Christmas color on the table!
Made this today. Totally delicious! The husband said its a “keeper”. The only thing I did different was to put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes at the end since it wasn’t browning enough in bake mode. The brown parts from the broiler ended up being the icing on the gratin lol. Thank you.
I am so glad that you enjoyed this recipe. This is one of my favorite side dishes right now.
This goes great with chicken breasts, liver and bacon casserole and any roast meats.
Thank you. I can do most anything but liver 😉 Unless it’s chicken livers ground up into pate.
Do you know about how much calories are in a serving ?
There are 200 calories per serving, you can see the nutritional information here
I wanna try this! Might put some buttered bread crumbs on top.