Baked Cauliflower Gratin with Pepper Jack Cheese is a savory and easy to make baked cauliflower side dish. You can put together a fantastic side dish with tiny effort.
Cauliflower is an excellent vegetable that is hearty and one that most everyone loves. I have been taking classes to become a chef this spring. Gratins are a dish that we make a lot of. I wanted to update a classic French dish and make it with just a bit of spice. Pepper Jack cheese adds just a little bit of heat with the peppers that are in the cheese.
If you do not like Pepper Jack cheese you could use cheddar or even Swiss cheese either will work very well. I like to make this dish and serve it with a roast or use it as a side dish with a roast. I think it holds up well to a hearty meat dish.
If you have never made a gratin before they are a very easy dish to make. For this recipe, I cook the cauliflower in salted boiling water to make sure they are done, and then I pour the cauliflower into the dish, and pour the cheese sauce over the dish. Before placing this dish into the oven, I sprinkle cheese over the dish.
I think you will be amazed at how easy it is to make this easy side dish. You could use this same technique to make potato gratin or any other vegetable side dish.
Enjoy Cauliflower? Try these cauliflower recipes.
Baked Cauliflower Gratin with Pepper Jack Cheese
- 3 pounds cauliflower cut into florets
- salt for cooking cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 8 ounces Pepper Jack cheese (divided use)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook cauliflower in a large pot of salted water. The cauliflower should be tender, but firm. The cooking time should be 5 to 6 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, start the cheese sauce. Melt two tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan. When the butter has melted completely add the flour. Cook flour for 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly begin to add milk, which each addition of milk the sauce should thicken. When all of the milk is added add 4 ounces of cheese. Stir in the cheese until it melts completely.
- Place cooked cauliflower into a large casserole dish. Pour cheese sauce over the cauliflower. Sprinkle remaining 4 ounces of cheese over the cauliflower. Place the cauliflower into the oven and bake for another 15 minutes. When the cheese should begin to brown slightly the gratin is done.