Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin is a new way you can prepare Brussels sprouts. Fresh Brussels sprouts are baked in a creamy cheese sauce with crispy bacon.
Brussels sprouts are a popular side dish that many of us have had them baked in the oven before. But have you had them in a classic French Au Gratin?
This dish combines a creamy, cheesy sauce with Brussels sprouts and crispy bacon. Gruyere adds the perfect flavor to accompany the Brussels sprouts and I know this side dish will soon make it into your recipe box.
This Au Gratin is very easy to put together. I like to buy Brussels sprouts at Costco. They come in a 2-pound bag where the Brussels sprouts have already been cleaned and trimmed perfectly. You can purchase your vegetables anywhere you like.
This is a low maintenance dish. It is perfect to toss this into the oven while you prepare your main dish for dinner.
This is what you need to make the au gratin:
- Fresh Brussels sprouts
- Salt and Pepper
- Gruyere cheese
How to Make Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin
- Place Brussels sprouts in a baking dish.
- Dice and cook bacon until crispy.
- Make a simple white sauce with butter, flour, and milk.
- Add Gruyere cheese to the white sauce.
- Cook until cheese is fully melted.
- Pour cheese sauce over Brussels sprouts.
- Sprinkle cooked bacon on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
The creamy cheese sauce is a simple white sauce that we add lots of freshly grated Gruyere cheese. Gruyere cheese offers you a nice nuttiness that you will find irresistible. I like to grate cheese just before it goes into a sauce, I believe it melts better when you do it like this.
So often when you buy pre-grated cheese it comes with an anti-caking agent on it that can slow down how well a cheese will melt. They do it this way so when you buy a package of shredded cheese it isn’t a large clump of cheese.
What makes this dish so easy is that once you pour the sauce over the Brussels sprouts into the pan you will simply place the pan into the oven, and let it bake.
You can reheat the au gratin later, so this recipe would be great to make ahead and reheat before serving.
I hope you give this recipe a try soon, it is so easy to put together.
Love Easy Oven Baked Side Dishes? Check Out These Recipes
- Cheddar Cauliflower Recipe
- Creamed Corn Au Gratin
- Simple Potato Au Gratin
- Green Beans Gratin
- Baked Red Potatoes Recipe
- Keto Cheesy Broccoli
- Keto Cauliflower Bake
- Baked Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potatoes with Candied Pecans
- Potatoes and Leeks Recipe
More Brussels Sprouts Recipes
- Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts with Balsamic Glaze
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Crispy Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin
- 2 pounds Fresh Brussels sprouts that have been washed, trimmed, and cut in half
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup diced cooked bacon
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees. Wash, trim and cut Brussels sprouts in half. Place Brussels sprouts into a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- In a medium-size saucepan over medium heat add 3 tablespoons of butter. When the butter has melted add the flour. Whisk together the butter and flour and continue to cook for about 1 minute. The butter and flour mixture will become fragrant like pie dough. Slowly add in the milk and continue to whisk. The sauce will thicken. When all of the milk has been incorporated into the sauce continue to stir and cook until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper. Slowly add in the cheese and stir to incorporate the cheese into the sauce. Cook until the cheese has fully melted.
- Pour cheese sauce over the Brussels sprouts, and then top with the crispy cooked bacon. Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes.