Chicken Tetrazzini is the perfect dish to make for a weeknight. A creamy sauce, noodles, chicken, and more make for a delightful casserole.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
What Is Chicken Tetrazzini?
Are you looking for a little more variety when it comes to dinner? This Chicken Tetrazzini casserole is a real change from the run-of-the-mill after-work meals you are used to eating.
Try this classic combination of baked noodles, chunks of chicken, and peas in a rich mushroom sauce with a crispy breadcrumb topping tonight.
Why This Is the Best Easy Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe!
Casseroles sometimes get a bad rap, but they shouldn’t. A good casserole feeds a crowd, is easy to on the wallet, and is delicious to boot.
Prepare this recipe in advance, and you can have a homemade dinner on the table in less than 25 minutes!
Since this Chicken Tetrazzini recipe mainly uses pantry items you probably already have, it is the perfect weeknight meal or take-along for a pot-luck dinner.
Chicken Tetrazzini Ingredients
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Canned or cooked chicken
- Noodles or Pasta
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Canned peas
Use whatever type of noodles you prefer. Although most people make a Chicken Tetrazzini casserole using spaghetti, shorter kinds of pasta like rotini, penne, and farfalle make serving and eating easier. This is also an excellent recipe to use up several different types of noodles.
There is no need to cook chicken just for this recipe. Save time by using canned or store-bought rotisserie chicken. Many supermarkets sell rotisserie chicken at a discount just before closing.
How to Make Chicken Tetrazzini
Here are the simple recipe steps:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Boil the noodles until they are slightly underdone. The pasta needs to be a bit toothsome, or it will become soggy after baking in the mushroom sauce. While the noodles are cooking, use the time to prep the other parts of the recipe.
- Grease a casserole dish well. Don’t skimp on the butter, or the noodles will stick.
- In a small bowl, stir together the condensed mushroom soup and milk.
- Chop the cooked chicken into half-inch chunks, and drain the peas.
- When the noodles are ready, drain and return them to the pot.
- Stir in the mushroom soup mixture, chicken, and peas. Make sure to coat the noodles well with the mushroom soup mixture so they can absorb the flavor.
- Transfer the noodle mixture to the casserole dish.
- Combine the breadcrumbs with melted butter in a small bowl, and then sprinkle on top of the casserole.
- Bake the Chicken Tetrazzini in the oven until the breadcrumbs are golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy! You can sprinkle with chopped parsley for garnish if you desire.
You can only eat so many turkey sandwiches after Thanksgiving. This easy Chicken Tetrazzini is a wonderful way to use up leftover turkey.
Sprinkle a bit of parmesan cheese, dried herbs like thyme or oregano, and the breadcrumbs on top of the casserole for a distinct Italian flavor.
Try replacing the milk with whipping cream or half-and-half in the Chicken Tetrazzini recipe below for an even creamier dish.
What To Serve With Creamy Chicken Tetrazzini
You can serve a Chicken Tetrazzini casserole on its own, but a mixed green salad with a simple salad dressing or a bowl of minestrone soup will complete the meal. Garlic bread is also a good side dish.
Follow the recipe as directed, but after transferring the Chicken Tetrazzini with mushrooms to the casserole dish, cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 375°F and heat for 25 minutes. The extra cooking time is necessary to compensate for the time in the fridge.
After 10 minutes, carefully remove the casserole and sprinkle on the breadcrumb topping. Return the casserole to the oven for another 15 minutes.
How To Store Chicken Tetrazzini With Mushrooms
Cover the Chicken Tetrazziniwith plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge for up to three days, or wrap it tightly in aluminum foil and store it in the freezer for up to three months.
How to Reheat Chicken Tetrazzini
If the chicken tetrazzini casserole is frozen, let it thaw overnight in the fridge.
Cut the casserole into serving slices, cover with aluminum foil and reheat at 375°F until warmed through, about 25 minutes. Do not refreeze any leftovers.
Favorite Dinner Casserole Recipes
- Chicken and Dressing Casserole
- Chicken Cornbread Casserole
- Dorito Casserole
- Ground Beef Casserole
- Hot Dog Casserole
- King Ranch Casserole
- Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
- Sausage and Rice Casserole
- Spaghetti Casserole
- Taco Casserole
Popular Chicken Recipes for Dinner
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup noodles
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can chicken or 1 cup cooked chicken
- 1 can (15 ounces) peas drained
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter melted, plus more for the dish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Butter an 8-inch casserole dish.
- Bring the water and salt to a boil in a large pot.
- Gradually add the noodles so that the water continues to boil. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain the noodles and return them to the pot.
- Mix the soup and milk together in a bowl until blended.
- Add the soup mixture to the pot with the noodles, along with the chicken and peas, and stir to combine.
- Pour the noodle mixture into the buttered casserole dish.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a small bowl with the melted butter, and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly over the noodles
- Bake for 15 minutes.