Denny’s is a dinner we all love. Did you know you can make your own copycat Denny’s Moons Over My Hammy at home?
Denny’s is known as one of America’s Diners. Everyone goes there, and it’s a diner we all love, and not least for Denny’s imaginative naming of their food! I think that Moons Over My Hammy takes the gold, but how about The Super Bird, Lumberjack Slam, and Choconana Pancake Breakfast?
Three Things You May Not Know About Denny’s Slams
- The Grand Slam pays tribute to Hank Aaron. The combo was introduced at an Atlanta Denny’s in 1977 to celebrate the city’s hero, Hank Aaron, who had crushed Babe Ruth’s 714-hit home-run record.
- Denny’s served two million free Grand Slams in one day following Super Bowl XLIII. Denny’s aired an ad during the game, promising an irresistible free Grand Slam to absolutely every customer who came into a Denny’s between 6 am and 2 pm.
- At the now-closed Manhattan Denny’s, you could order a $300 Grand Cru Slam, a special breakfast for two that included a bottle of Dom Pérignon.
To read about some more things you may not know about Denny’s, click here.
Make This Denny’s Favorite at Home
Did you know you can make your own copykat Denny’s Moons Over My Hammy at home? It’s a great sandwich to eat for breakfast, lunch, or dinner – it doesn’t matter which meal you choose. This sandwich combines sourdough bread, ham, scrambled eggs, and American and Swiss cheese. Does it get any better than this? I don’t think so!
Ingredients in the Denny’s Moons Over My Hammy
The Denny’s Moons Over My Hammy is like an extra-fancy grilled cheese sandwich. By adding ham, scrambled eggs, and a second cheese, you end up with a sandwich full of delights. Serve this up with homemade hash browns or some country fried potatoes, and you have a hearty meal.
I like to make this sandwich with American cheese that comes from the deli. American cheese has its place, and the deli variety is much better than the cellophane-wrapped kind we often associate with this cheese. So, go to the deli and buy exactly what you need. You may want to experiment with some honey ham or some Virginia baked ham to give this classic breakfast sandwich some extra love.
Want more copykat Denny’s recipes that taste just like they do at Denny’s?
Just click here and get busy.
Make your own CopyKat Denny’s Moons Over My Hammy
Now there’s no need to wait in line at Denny’s on a Sunday morning. You can make this classic Denny’s recipe at home and relax with your family. This is a wonderful breakfast treat that the whole family will love.
Copycat Denny's Moons Over My Hammy
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 8 slices ham deli, sliced thin
- 2 slices American deli cheese
- 2 slices Swiss processed cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons butter divided use
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- To make the sandwich, first, scamble the eggs. In a small bowl combine the two eggs, and the milk. Whisk them together until they uniform. Heat a small non-stick skillet over low-medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons of butter of the skillet. Once the butter has melted add the eggs. Season eggs with salt and pepper. Stir the eggs continually until they have set firm. Set aside.Wipe out the pan, and place the ham slices in the pan. Cook the ham for a couple of minutes, flip the ham, and cook on the other side for an additional 2 minutes. When the ham has heated through set aside.Build sandwich by buttering one slide of bread, and putting buttered side down into the skillet, then add two slices of American processed cheese, then the eggs, then ham, the Swiss cheese, top with the remaining slice of sourdough bread, and butter the top piece of bread. Cook on low to low-medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until the bread is toasted brown. Cut sandwich in half when serving.