Do you love chocolate pie? I can show you how to make an easy chocolate pie! This pie is a no-bake pie that you can put together very quickly. Honestly, nothing beats a good old-fashioned chocolate pie.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
Homemade Chocolate Pie
This recipe is part of my learn to cook series. The series is where I am actually cooking through my old home economics cookbook from junior high school. I went to junior high school in the early 1980s at Heaton Middle School in Pueblo, Colorado. For some reason, I always retained this cookbook, and I wanted to work my way through this book.
If you have never made a chocolate pie, this recipe is very easy and it is perfect for those who are just beginning to cook. This recipe uses a pre-made pie crust for ease. Note you will need to bake the crust in the oven and let it cool before you begin making the pie filling.
Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie Recipe
Chocolate pie from scratch is so much better than one made with chocolate pudding mix. It has a richer and deeper flavor. This old fashioned chocolate pie tastes heavenly and is sure to be a favorite, especially for holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving. It will remind everyone of Grandma’s chocolate pie.
Easy Chocolate Pie Filling
This is a simple recipe for homemade chocolate pie filling. Some chocolate pie fillings are made with chocolate that you melt, but this is one of the few recipes that you can make a chocolate pie with cocoa powder.
I like this because I don’t always have melting chocolate in the house, but I always have cocoa powder on hand. You can see with a few simple ingredients, you can make a delicious and creamy chocolate pudding pie you will fall in love with.
Chocolate Pie Recipe Ingredients
- Cocoa Powder
- All-purpose Flour
- Egg Yolks
- Vanilla Extract
- Pie shell
- Cool Whip or whipped cream
You can use frozen or refrigerated pie crusts. I am a fan of the refrigerated pie crusts.
How to Make Chocolate Pie
Here are the recipe steps. There’s a printable recipe card below with full ingredient measurements and instructions.
- Heat the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, place the sugar, flour, salt, and cocoa.
- Use a whisk to combine the dry ingredients together.
- Add the dry mixture to the milk and cook it until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Place the egg yolks in a small bowl. Use a fork to beat them until smooth.
- Temper the egg yolks by adding a small amount of the hot milk mixture into the beaten egg yolks and stir.
- Slowly pour the egg yolk mixture back into the pot, stirring constantly while pouring them in.
- Cook the filling for at least two minutes, or until thickened.
- Stir in the vanilla and pour the filling into the pie shell.
- Chill the pie in the refrigerator for several hours. You can press plastic wrap on top to prevent a skin from forming.
- After the filling has cooled, you can top it with Cool Whip or whipped cream, either dollops or spread to cover the filling. Use an electric mixer on high speed to whip the heavy cream with a little sugar until stiff peaks form.
Chocolate Pie Toppings
You have many options when it comes to topping your pie. Whipped topping is the most popular. You can use Cool Whip or make some whipped cream. Or you could even get fancy and make a meringue.
You could also sprinkle some chocolate shavings or chocolate chips on top of the whipped topping if you desire. Your imagination is the only thing that will limit you.
Instead of the pastry crust, you can either make a crust with graham cracker crumbs or use a pre-made graham cracker crust.
You can also use an Oreo crust instead of the pastry crust.
What Goes Good with Chocolate Pie?
Are you looking for things to serve with chocolate pie? I have several great ideas for you. Chocolate pie is great on its own but if you setting up a larger affair you may want to serve additional items along with your luscious chocolate pie. I suggest pairing your pie is a cup of rich coffee. Here are some additional dessert ideas.
- Butterscotch pie
- Pecan pie
- Chocolate lava cakes
- Lemon meringue pie
How to Store Chocolate Pie
Chocolate pie needs to be stored in the refrigerator. Cream pies will last between three to five days when left in the refrigerator. Cover the pie lightly with plastic wrap so it does not absorb odors and flavors from other foods in your refrigerator.
Do You Love Pies? Check Out These Recipes
- Baskin Robbins Pie
- Best Texas Pecan Pie Recipe
- Black Bottom Pie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- Easy Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie
- How to Make Kool Aid Pie
- Layered Pumpkin Pie
- Old Fashioned Apple Pie Recipe with Brown Sugar
- Pumpkin Pie for Diabetic
- Ritz Cracker Mock Apple Pie
- Toll House Pie
Easy Chocolate Treats
Easy Chocolate Pie
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 egg yolks beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 baked pie shell
- Cool Whip or whipped cream
- Heat the milk in a medium-sized pot over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the sugar, flour, salt, and cocoa.
- Add the dry mixture to the milk and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Temper the eggs by adding a small amount of the hot milk mixture into the beaten egg yolks and stir. Pour the egg yolk mixture back into the pot, stirring constantly.
- Cook the pudding for at least two minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla and pour the pudding into the pie shell.
- When the chocolate base cools, you can top with Cool Whip or whipped cream.