You can make Kahlua Coffee Liqueur, this coffee-flavored beverage at home. This makes wonderful gifts, or to savor yourself. This is easy to make.
Learn about Kahlua Coffee Liqueur
Kahlua coffee liqueur is a sweet, rich, coffee-flavored drink you can easily make at home. My homemade Kahlua recipe is just the perfect thing for an after-dinner tipple. You can just savor it with your family or also use it to make wonderful gifts. Just pour it into bottles and dress it up with pretty ribbons.
What is Kahlua?
Any bar will have a bottle of Kahlua. It’s one of the ingredients in the popular White Russian cocktail. Because of this, you might think that Kahlua originated in Russia. You also might think that Kahlua is made in the Middle East because the name Kahlua comes from the word kahwa, which is an Arabic slang word for coffee. But, no – this coffee-flavored liqueur is Mexican. Kahlua is a wonderful mix of coffee, rum, corn syrup and vanilla beans (one more traditional Mexican ingredients).
How is Traditional Kahlua Made?
Before being used to make Kahlua, the coffee beans are dried, de-husked and allowed to age for about six months before they are roasted, ground up and brewed. The sugar cane used in the Kahlua is harvested, crushed and juiced and then reduced to form molasses. Yeast and water are added to the cane to ferment the mixture and produce the alcohol content in Kahlua. The cane spirit is combined with the coffee, vanilla, and caramel and allowed to rest for eight weeks before being filtered, bottled, and sent out into the world of delighted drinkers. Today, Kahlua is drunk at a rate of two million cases a year in 150 countries around the world.
What Drinks can You Make with Kahlua?
There are many drinks that feature Kahlua. Here are just two examples:
- Mind Eraser – Fill a glass with ice to the brim. Add Kahlua and vodka then top off with club soda. Don’t stir this is a drink that should have layers.
- Black Russian – Fill a glass with ice. Add one part Kahlua and two parts vodka. Mix and garnish with a cherry on top.
- Kahlua and Cream – Simply fill a glass with ice, and add about 1 or 2 ounces of Kahlua and fill the rest with half and half.
And, click here for a long list of more drinks you can make with Kahlua. Want to impress your guests with your cocktail expertise? Here are some more:
You can also us Kahlua for baking:
Also, consider pouring some aged Kahlua over ice cream – it’s like coffee candy!
Homemade Kahlua Recipe with Vodka
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring (not extract)
- 2 1/4 cups vodka
- Combine the coffee, sugar, vanilla, and water. Stir until the sugar is dissolved completely. Set aside to cool (otherwise, you will evaporate the alcohol).
- Add vodka and stir until well mixed. Pour over ice, and add your favorite ingredients. Sit back, relax, and enjoy.