You can make coffee liqueur, a sweet coffee-flavored beverage, at home. Homemade Kahlua is perfect for cocktails, to give for a special gift, or a drink to savor. It is easy to make with a few simple ingredients.
Learn about Kahlua Coffee Liqueur
Kahlua coffee liqueur is a sweet, rich, coffee-flavored drink you can easily make at home. My homemade Kahlua recipe is just the perfect thing for an after-dinner tipple. You can just savor it with your family or also use it to make wonderful gifts. Just pour it into bottles and dress it up with pretty ribbons.
What is Kahlua?
Any bar will have a bottle of Kahlua. It’s one of the ingredients in the popular White Russian cocktail. Because of this, you might think that Kahlua originated in Russia.
You also might think that Kahlua is made in the Middle East because the name Kahlua comes from the word kahwa, which is an Arabic slang word for coffee.
But, no – this coffee-flavored liqueur is Mexican. Kahlua is a wonderful mix of coffee, rum, corn syrup, and vanilla beans (one more traditional Mexican ingredients).
How is Traditional Kahlua Made?
Before being used to make Kahlua, the coffee beans are dried, de-husked, and allowed to age for about six months before they are roasted, ground up, and brewed.
The sugar cane used in the Kahlua is harvested, crushed, juiced, and then reduced to form molasses.
Yeast and water are added to the cane to ferment the mixture and produce the alcohol content in Kahlua. The cane spirit is combined with the coffee, vanilla, and caramel and allowed to rest for eight weeks before being filtered, bottled, and sent out into the world of delighted drinkers.
Kahlua is consumed at a rate of two million cases a year in 150 countries around the world.
The authentic Kahlua recipe is time-consuming, labor-intensive, and why Kahlua is expensive to buy. The good news is you can make homemade coffee liqueur for a fraction of the cost of Kahlua.
What Drinks can You Make with Kahlua?
There are many drinks that feature Kahlua. Here are just two examples:
- Mind Eraser – Fill a glass with ice to the brim. Add Kahlua and vodka then top off with club soda. Don’t stir this is a drink that should have layers.
- Black Russian – Fill a glass with ice. Add one part Kahlua and two parts vodka. Mix and garnish with a cherry on top.
- Kahlua and Cream – Simply fill a glass with ice, and add about 1 or 2 ounces of Kahlua and fill the rest with half and half.
Also, consider pouring some aged Kahlua over ice cream – it’s like coffee candy!
Homemade Kahlua Coffee Liqueur Ingredients
- Instant Coffee
- Vanilla Flavoring
The combination of sugar, coffee, vanilla, and vodka is what makes this the best Kahlua recipe. It’s deep, rich savory flavor is balanced with the right amount of sweetness.
How to Make Coffee Liqueur
- Combine hot water, sugar, instant coffee, and vanilla flavoring. Stir until sugar is dissolved completely.
- Allow mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Add vodka and stir to combine.
- Use immediately or store in a sealed glass container.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the most commonly asked questions about homemade coffee liqueur:
How long does homemade Kahlua last?
Homemade Kahlua will last for about 3 years.
Does Homemade Kahlua go bad?
Homemade Kahlua will decline in quality over time. Although it may not spoil with growing mold or becoming rancid, it should be consumed or used within 3 years of being made.
Should homemade Kahlua be refrigerated?
It is not necessary to refrigerate homemade Kahlua. Store coffee liqueur in a tightly sealed container in a cool, dark area and away from direct sunlight or exposure to heat.
Cheers to these cocktails!
- Godfather Cocktail
- Sandy Dollar Bar Painkiller
- Washington Apple Drink Recipe
- Harry’s Bar Bellini Recipe
- Kahlua Mudslide Recipe
- Best Beer Margarita Recipe
- Wild Berry Sangria Recipe
Popular non-alcoholic drinks
- Ocean Water
- Berry Hibiscus Passion Tea
- Sonic Limeaid
- Milo’s Sweet Tea Recipe
- Chick Fil A Frosted Lemonade
Use Kahlua in baking this Sara Lee Brownie Recipe.
Homemade Kahlua Recipe with Vodka
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring (not extract)
- 2 1/4 cups vodka
- Combine the coffee, sugar, vanilla, and water. Stir until the sugar is dissolved completely. Set aside to cool (otherwise, you will evaporate the alcohol).
- Add vodka and stir until well mixed. Pour over ice, and add your favorite ingredients. Sit back, relax, and enjoy.