Walking the streets of Manhattan you see the Sabretts pushcarts everywhere. While these may not be in your town, you can make their special onions in sauce topping for hotdogs with this copycat recipe.
Sabretts Onions in sauce
Thanks for CarolynTLyons for sharing this recipe.
Sabrett’s onions in sauce has a delightful tang, a little sweetness, rich tomato flavor, and a slight kick of heat. It’s a delicious hot dog topping.
Love hot dogs? Try these recipes:
- Air Fryer Hot Dogs
- Baked Hot Dogs in the Oven
- Truffle Macaroni and Cheese Bacon Hot Dog
- Green Bean and Hot Dog Casserole
- Larry’s Bourbon Hot Dogs
Sabretts Onions in Sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions sliced thin and chopped
- 3 Cups Water
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 2 teaspoons Corn Syrup
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 Cup Vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté sliced onion in oil for 5 minutes, until onions are soft, but not brown. Add 3 cups water, tomato paste, corn syrup, corn starch and salt; stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce hear and simmer for 45 minutes. Add vinegar. Continue to simmer an additional 30-45 minutes or until most of the liquid has reduced and the sauce is thick.