Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte is one of my favorite Starbuck’s creations. This coffee drink tastes like a pumpkin pie in a cup. The only problem with this treat is that it is seasonal. Meaning if it doesn’t fall your chances of getting one of these drinks is pretty slim.
This drink has been somewhat elusive for me; I knew it had multiple components in this recipe. It was when I had this drink prepared for me at Whole Foods it dawned on me what I was doing it wrong.
The real trick is trying to make a pumpkin-flavored syrup and then work on the coffee portion of the drink. What did it for me at Whole Foods, other than having a completely open coffee bar, I found myself staring at the pumpkin syrup.
For the longest, I was wondering how you get pumpkin into the drink without it turning into a weird texture.
How to Make Pumpkin Syrup with Real Pumpkin
So I begin this drink with a pumpkin spice flavored syrup. I recently posted a recipe for a simple syrup on youtube, but this syrup has more flavor.
This was accomplished by first flavoring the water of the simple syrup by infusing the flavors of nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon first and then adding sugar and pumpkin.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Ground nutmeg
- Cinnamon sticks or ground cinnamon
- Fresh or ground ginger
- Canned pumpkin
- Espresso or strong coffee
- Whipped cream
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to Make Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Combine nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and water in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Bring to a boil then turn down the heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain out spices by pouring the water through a coffee filter.
- Place spice-flavored water back into the pan.
- Add sugar and pumpkin mix well.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Prepare espresso or strong coffee.
- Pour a couple of tablespoons of pumpkin syrup into a coffee cup then add coffee.
- Gently pour frothed milk over the coffee and stir.
- Top with whipped cream and a dash of ground nutmeg.
If you don’t have an espresso maker you may want to consider using instant espresso. Espresso is slightly different than coffee as the water is steamed through the coffee, so it is a little stronger than traditional drip coffee.
A brand of instant espresso that I like is Medaglia D’Oro Instant Espresso Coffee, 2 Oz.
You may also want to consider using a tool that Italians use to make espresso at home. The Bialetti Mocha pot is how Italians have been making espresso at home.
These coffee pots are less than 30 dollars and make real Italian espresso. Bialetti Moka Express 3 Cup Espresso Maker 06799 is a great way to make espresso at home.
How to Froth Milk for a Latte
I would suggest that you use whatever milk you enjoy the most. You can use half and half, whole milk, 2%, or even skim milk. I heated up my milk for about 1 minute in the microwave before I frothed it.
Love Starbucks? Try these copycat recipes!
- Butterscotch Latte
- Caramel Macchiato
- Eggnog Latte
- Flat White
- Mocha Coffee
- Peppermint Mocha
- Pink Drink
- Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew
- Snickerdoodle Hot Chocolate
- Egg White Bites
- Spinach Feta Wrap
Favorite Pumpkin Recipes
Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cinnamon sticks or 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons canned pumpkin
Pumpkin Latte Ingredients
- 4 ounces espresso
- 4 ounces milk warmed and frothed
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin syrup
- 2 tablespoons whipped cream
Pumpkin Syrup Instructions
- Combine spices and water in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring water to a boil, and then turn down the water with spices to simmer. Allow the spiced water to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain out spices by pouring the water through a coffee filter. You want the seasoned water to be free of spices.
- Place spice-flavored water back into the pan and add sugar and pumpkin mix well. Simmer this for another 10 minutes.
- This will yield about 1 pint of pumpkin spice syrup. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Pumpkin Spice Latte Instructions
- Prepare 4 ounces of espresso or strong coffee.
- In a coffee cup, place 2 to 3 tablespoons of pumpkin syrup then add coffee.
- Gently pour the frothed milk over the coffee and stir gently.
- If desired, top with whipped cream and a dash of ground nutmeg.