Be honest. You love Taco Bell, and you can’t get enough of the restaurant’s Supreme Burrito. It’s understandable. After all, it is hard to resist a fresh flour tortilla loaded with beef, beans, cheese, and veggies. Now you can make beef and bean burritos just like Taco Bell at home with this copycat recipe!
Table of Contents
Taco Bell Supreme Burrito
This is the perfect copycat recipe when craving a Taco Bell supreme burrito! Enjoy your Taco Bell cravings in less time than driving to Taco Bell.
What is in a Taco Bell Burrito Supreme?
The standard Taco Bell burrito supreme has seasoned beef, refried beans, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and red sauce. Add black beans, jalapeno peppers, fiesta potatoes, or seasoned rice.
The great thing about making your own homemade Taco Bell burrito supreme is that you can build them how you like!
Taco Bell Burrito Supreme Ingredients
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Masa harina
- Chili powder
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Seasoned salt
- Ground cumin
- Garlic salt
- Dried minced onion
- Beef bouillon powder
- Ground beef chuck
- Canned refried beans
- Burrito-size white tortillas
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Roma tomatoes
- Taco Bell Mild Sauce
- Sour cream (optional)
The ingredient list may be longer than your average burrito, but that is only because the Supreme Burrito is so darn delicious. Let’s look at what goes into this restaurant-quality Taco Bell Beef Burrito Supreme recipe.
You can’t have a great Mexican-inspired meal without going a little overboard with the spice. But don’t even think about leaving any out. The spices are:
Chili Powder is not just one spice but a blend of many. While each chili powder blend is unique, most include cumin, oregano, paprika, garlic, onion, and cayenne powders.
Although the recipe calls for adding more spices, don’t think you can double up on the chili powder and be done with it. But you can use your favorite brand of chili powder or homemade chili powder for this recipe.
Ground Cumin has a bittersweet flavor that gives Tex-Mex dishes their characteristic taste.
Onion and Garlic Powders are dried and then ground. They have a more concentrated flavor than the fresh variety.
Dried Minced Onions are more intense than fresh onions, but they rehydrate with the spiced beef drippings and become pops of flavor in the burrito.
Additional Salts include both garlic salt and seasoning salt. Garlic salt is a mixture of about three parts garlic powder to one part table salt, while seasoning salt has, of course, salt, as well as other spices like paprika, onion powder, and ground red pepper. People tend to avoid using salt in their recipes but don’t. This recipe is not overly salty.
Paprika comes in two main varieties; Spanish and Hungarian. Spanish paprika has a smoky flavor, and it’s one that is better suited for making a Supreme Burrito.
Beef Bouillon Powder is not a spice, but its purpose in this recipe is to give the burrito a beefier taste. You can use your favorite brand.
What is masa harina? It is a corn flour made by finely grinding dried corn kernels treated with lime. Masa Harina comes in white, yellow, and blue varieties,
Cooks use it both as part of dough and as a thickener. In this recipe, masa harina is a thickener. It is best to use the white or yellow variety.
You can find masa harina in most of your grocery stores in the flour section or the ethnic cooking aisle. You can also find it at a local Mexican superstore.
If you don’t have any on hand, you could crush up a few corn tortilla chips and use those as a substitute.
Chuck roast is perfect because it has just the right amount of fat content and a bold beef taste. When you cook the ground chuck roast, you should expect a good bit of liquid to collect in the pan.
Don’t worry, the masa harina will thicken it up and turn it into a delectable sauce.
Refried beans are a Mexican staple made from spiced mashed beans fried in oil or lard. There are a ton of different varieties of refried beans, from traditional to vegan.
Traditional refried beans are usually made with lard and are the most flavorful, but use the ones you have on hand.
Check out my homemade refried beans recipe.
How to Make Taco Bell Burrito Supreme
- Place all the spices in a small bowl.
- Stir until the spices are blended well.
- Place the ground beef into a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the beef, stirring to crumble the beef as it is browning.
- Drain off the grease and return the beef to the skillet.
- Add the spices and water. Stir to combine.
- Simmer over on medium-low heat for 20 minutes or until most of the moisture has cooked away.
- Heat refried beans in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Place each tortilla in the skillet for 30 seconds to warm them up.
- Remove the tortilla from the skillet and cover it with a towel to keep it warm. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Spread refried beans in the center of a tortilla.
- Place seasoned ground beef over the beans.
- Top with lettuce, cheese, and diced tomato.
- Add Taco Bell Sauce
- Top with sour cream if desired.
- Fold up the tortilla burrito style (bottom-up first then the sides). Repeat with the remaining tortillas and ingredients.
- Serve with salsa or taco sauce.
Tips for Making and Serving Taco Bell Beef Burrito Supreme
Roll them right. Place the filling on the bottom third of the tortilla. Pull the bottom edge just over the filling and fold the left and right edges of the tortilla to meet in the middle. Roll away from you, keeping the filling from spilling out.
Add additional veggies. Top the filling with anything you like before rolling. Sweet or spicy peppers, avocados, or pickled red onions are delicious.
Is the Burrito Supreme Healthy?
Healthy is a fairly relative term. There are ways that you could make this recipe healthier, but I would not say that this is an unhealthy recipe.
A few ways to make it healthier would be to get low-sodium refried beans. You can also use corn or whole wheat tortillas instead of white flour. However, corn tortillas are not the best for burritos since the tortillas are quite fragile.
Another way would be to limit or eliminate the cheese from this recipe and use low-fat sour cream.
So, if your goal is for super healthy burritos, I suggest trying the options. But if you are looking for something tasty with a little bit of balance, then try the recipe as is and adjust it to your liking!
Is the Big Beef Burrito the Same as the Taco Bell Burrito Supreme?
Essentially, yes! While the two burritos aren’t the same by name, they have the same ingredients.
The big beef burrito has double the meat as Taco Bell burrito, just with double the meat! So, if you no longer offer it, then try just getting two of the burrito supremes and put them together.
When you make this burrito supreme recipe, double the meat, and you’ll have yourself a big beef burrito!
Either way, double meat, less meat, more cheese, less cheese, it’s all delicious. Just build it the way you want it and enjoy it!
Just How Popular is the Taco Bell Burrito Supreme?
You know how McDonald’s is known for its Big Mac? Well, consider this Taco Bell burrito the equivalent of the Big Mac.
The burrito supreme or supreme burrito (called both) is the most commonly ordered burrito on the Taco Bell menu. So I would say it is pretty popular! If you have not tried it before, now is the time!
Love Taco Bell? Try these copycat recipes!
- Chicken Quesadilla
- Mexican Pizza
- Mountain Dew Baja Blast
- Nacho Fries
- Nacho Fries BellGrande
- Quesadilla Sauce
- Taco Bell Potatoes
Favorite Mexican Recipes
Taco Bell Burrito Supreme
Mexican Seasoned Beef Filling
- 1 1/2 tablespoons masa harina
- 4 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon beef bouillon powder
- 1 1/3 pounds ground beef chuck
- 16 ounces canned refried beans
- 8 white tortillas 10 inches or larger
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce shredded (about 3 cups)
- 2 Roma tomatoes diced
- 8 tablespoons sour cream optional
- 2 teaspoons Taco Bell Sauce
Mexican Seasoned Beef Filling
- Place all the ingredients except the meat in a small bowl.
- Stir the spices well to make sure the spices are blended well.
- Crumble the ground beef into a large skillet (preferably nonstick) over medium-high heat and brown the beef, stirring well.
- Transfer the browned beef to a colander to drain off the grease.
- Return the beef to the skillet.
- Add the spice mix and 3/4 to 1 cup water. Stir to combine.
- Simmer the beef mixture on medium-low heat for 20 minutes, or until most of the moisture has cooked away. Remove the skillet from heat before the meat is completely dry.
Burrito Refried Beans and Tortillas
- Heat refried beans in a small pan over low heat. Stir occasionally. When the beans are warmed through and pliable they are ready.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Place each tortilla in the skillet for about 30 seconds on each side to warm them up.
- Remove the tortilla from the skillet.
- Cover the tortillas with a towel to keep them warm.
- Spread two or three tablespoons of refried beans on a tortilla. Be sure to leave the sides of the tortilla clean so they will be easy to roll up.
- Add ½ cup of seasoned ground beef over the beans.
- Top with lettuce, cheese, diced tomato, and Taco Bell Mild sauce.
- Top with sour cream if desired.
- Fold up the burrito by folding up the bottom of the burrito first, then fold the burrito over from the left to the right.
- Serve with your favorite sauce.