This beautiful Chicken Fajita Salad is made with chicken that’s carefully seasoned in a homemade fajita seasoning blend and cooked on a sheet pan. Then it’s tossed on top of a bed of crisp romaine, with vibrant peppers, tomatoes, avocados, grilled corn, black beans, red onions, and fresh lime. It’s paired with a Creamy Salsa Verde Dressing for just a little kick!
A tasty chicken fajita salad is the perfect healthy, warm weather meal. It’s a nutritious, low-carb way to enjoy chicken fajitas. With so many yummy Tex-Mex flavors, your family will love this grilled chicken fajita salad.
What’s in This Grilled Chicken Fajita Salad?
This beautiful salad is made with grilled chicken that’s carefully seasoned in a homemade fajita seasoning blend and cooked on a sheet pan – ready in ten minutes! Then it’s tossed on top of a bed of crisp romaine, with red onion, vibrant peppers, tomatoes, grilled corn, black beans, avocados, and fresh lime. It’s paired with a creamy salsa verde dressing for just a little kick!
- You can make your own creamy salsa verde dressing. Click here and here for recipes. Or, you can buy it ready made – click here and here.
Notes for the Cook
- You can substitute bell peppers for the mini sweet peppers. I like the mini sweet peppers because they come with all three colors in one bag. This is so convenient, and I love their colors and flavor!
- You can also choose to throw the peppers right on the sheet pan with the chicken when it goes into the oven if you prefer them cooked instead of raw – ditto with the onions. If you decide to cook your peppers and onions, just make sure everything is spread out evenly and items are not on top of each other on the pan – that way, the chicken cooks properly.
- You can also absolutely customize how you season your chicken. However, I do recommend using the cumin as it’s one of the main components of the fajita flavor. If you want a little extra spice, try adding chili powder to the mix or even dried chipotle.
- I like to use grilled corn. To grill your corn, remove the husk and any extra silk. Brush the corn lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt and garlic powder. Grill until each side starts to become slightly brown, turning frequently (about 10 minutes in total). Remove from the grill and after cooling, cut the corn away from the cob. You can also use canned or frozen corn as long as you cook it first.
- Always add the avocado last because it turns brown so fast. You can sprinkle the avocado with a little lime juice to help extend its freshness.
Other Possible Toppings for the Salad
This tasty chicken fajita salad recipe is easy to whip up. It’s full of fresh vegetables and chicken. Then you can add all your favorite yummy toppings, just like you would on your tacos. Here are some topping ideas:
- sliced avocado or guacamole
- shredded cheese
- tortilla strips or chips
- salsa or pico de gallo
- sour cream
- diced tomatoes
How to Store a Chicken Fajita Salad
I recommend eating this grilled chicken fajita salad right away as it will be at its freshest. If you have leftover salad, store it in the fridge and make sure to cover it tightly with Saran Wrap.
Chicken Fajita Salad Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you need for the fajita chicken:
- Chicken tenderloins
- Olive oil
- Ground Cumin
- Smoked Paprika
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Dried Chives
Here’s what you need for the salad:
- Romaine Hearts
- Red Onion
- Tricolored Mini Bell Peppers
- Corn kernels
- Canned Black Beans
Here’s what you need for the dressing:
- Salsa Verde
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Fresh Dill
- Fresh Cilantro
- Crushed Garlic
- Fresh Lime Juice
How to Make Chicken Fajita Salad
- Use a fork to lightly poke holes in the chicken.
- Place chicken and olive oil in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with crushed garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, lime juice, and dried chives.
- Toss the chicken to evenly coat it with oil and spices.
- Place the seasoned chicken spaced apart on a sheet pan.
- Bake the chicken at 425 degrees for 10 minutes or until done (internal temperature of 165 degrees).
- Wash romaine and pat dry. Chop romaine into bite-sized pieces.
- Place chopped romaine in a large bowl.
- Place chopped tomatoes, sliced onions, and sliced peppers, on top of the romaine.
- Place corn kernels on the salad.
- Drain black beans and add them to the salad.
- Slice limes place them on top of the salad.
- Slice the chicken against the grain of the meat.
- Place sliced chicken on top of the salad.
- Slice avocados and place them on the salad.
- Serve with creamy salsa verde dressing and enjoy!
How to Make Creamy Salsa Verde Dressing
- Pour salsa verde into a mason jar or salad dressing bottle.
- Add yogurt.
- Add milk, dill, cilantro, crushed garlic, and lime juice.
- Place a lid securely on the jar.
- Shake vigorously until everything is fully mixed.
Serve this delicious Mexican salad dressing with chicken fajita salad or use it as a dip.
Chicken Fajita Salad Notes and Tips
You can substitute bell peppers for the tricolored mini sweet peppers as well. I used the Mini Sweet Peppers because they come with all three colors in one bag which is so convenient and I love their flavor!
You could also throw the peppers and onions right on the sheet pan with the chicken when it goes into the oven if you’d prefer them cooked instead of raw.
If you decide to cook your onions and peppers, follow the directions the same way and just make sure everything is spread out evenly and not on top of each other on the pan – that way the chicken cooks properly!
You can absolutely customize how you season your chicken as well. Try to make sure to use the cumin though, it’s really one of the main components of the fajita flavor!
If you want a little extra spice, try adding chili powder to the mix or even dried chipotle!
This salad works well with iceberg lettuce as well, as it is nice and crisp.
Always add the avocado last because avocados turn brown so fast. You can also sprinkle a little lime juice on top of your avocados once you place them on the salad to help extend their freshness!
I recommend eating this salad right away as it will be at its freshest! If you have to store any in the fridge make sure to cover tightly with Saran Wrap.
Creamy Salsa Verde Salad Dressing Notes and Tips
If you don’t have a bottle or jar, you can make the dressing in a bowl or container. If there’s no lid – no problem! Just stir or whisk until all of the ingredients are fully mixed.
This dressing should be stored in the fridge, covered. It is best used within 1 week of making it!
You can make this non-dairy by substituting almond milk for the regular milk and mayonnaise for the Greek yogurt.
This dressing is just a little spicy with the heat coming from the salsa verde. You could kick it up another notch by adding chopped jalapeños as well!
People sometimes ask can I substitute regular salsa? The simple answer is yes because it will still be totally delicious and perfect on any salad!
It does change the dynamic a little. It will be a slightly red blush color after mixing and may not be as spicy. Salsa verde contains green chili peppers & tomatillos giving it that extra kick.
Best Salad Recipes for Dinner
Favorite Mexican Recipes
- Chicken Quesadilla Sauce
- Creamy Mexican Green Sauce Recipe
- Easy Taco Sauce Recipe
- How to Make Taco Bell Mexican Pizza
- Jiffy Mexican Cornbread
- Potato Taco Recipe
- Rotel Dip Recipe with Ground Beef
- Tex Mex Cheese Enchilada Recipe
Grilled Chicken Fajita Salad
Creamy Salsa Verde Dressing
- 3/4 cup salsa verde
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt plain
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 3 Romaine hearts
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 6 tricolored mini peppers or one red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels you can use frozen
- 15 ounces canned black beans rinse
- 2 limes
- 1 avocado sliced
Creamy Salsa Verde Salad Dressing Instructions
- In a mason jar or salad dressing bottle combine salsa verde and Greek yogurt.
- Add milk. Then add dill, cilantro, crushed garlic, and lime juice.
- Place lid on securely. Shake vigorously. Shake until everything is fully mixed.
- Prepare marinade by combining the olive oil, garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, lime juice, and chives in a large bowl. Whisk marinade.
- Add chicken tenders to the marinade.
- Allow the chicken to marinate for about 20 minutes before using.
- If you have a grill, grill for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- If you do not want to grill cook in an oven at 425 degrees. Place the chicken on a sheet pan, spread it out so that no piece is touching or on top of the other for about 10 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove chicken from oven and allow to rest on the pan while you assemble your salad!
- To make the salad, wash romaine and pat dry. Cut romaine into about 1 inch-2 inch pieces. Place the romaine in a large bowl.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, sliced onions, and sliced peppers on top of the romaine. Next, add the corn.
- Remove black beans from can (draining well of excess liquid) & add to the salad.
- Slice your limes in half and place on top of the salad.
- Now, it’s time to slice the chicken. Cut against the grain of the meat, this will ensure extra tender chicken. Place the chicken on top of the salad.
- Place sliced avocados on top of the salad, and service with the creamy salsa verde salad dressing.