This is a delightful salad made famous by the California Pizza Kitchen. The California Pizza Kitchen has a great cookbook The California Pizza Kitchen Cookbook. The California Pizza Kitchen has a great cookbook The California Pizza Kitchen Cookbook.
California Pizza Kitchen Chopped Salad
California Pizza Kitchen Kitchen Chopped Salad with Herbed Vinaigrette
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce cleaned trimmed and chopped into 1/8 inch-wide strips
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce cleaned trimmed and chopped into 1/8 inch-wide strips
- 12 basil leaves chopped into 1/16-inch-wide strips
- 2 cups dry Italian salami cut into thin strips
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup chopped garbanzo beans
- 4 cups ripe tomatoes diced 1/2 inch
- 3 cups turkey breast diced 1/2 inch
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- To make the dressing: Process all ingredients except oil and Parmesan using a hand-held, propeller-blade type mixer (or use a whisk in a small bowl). Slowly blend in oil. When all oil has been incorporated, stir in Parmesan. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- To make the salad: Toss first 6 ingredients and dressing together in a large mixing bowl. Transfer the salad to chilled salad plates. Surround each serving with a ring of diced tomatoes and top with diced turkey breast. Garnish with chopped scallions. Note: If so desired, all ingredients can be tossed together instead of being composed on the plate as described earlier.